Pretzels were off the menu at US President George W. Bush's working lunch with European statesmen in Ireland yesterday afternoon.
Only the finest Irish food was to grace the table at the renaissance castle in County Clare, in the west of the country, as the conversation turned to Iraq and famine in Sudan. French fries were unlikely to be served and there would be nothing the US president might have trouble pronouncing.
What Bush was probably choking on was the gristle of the Irish media.
PHOTO: AP
Not suspecting that he would be subjected to anything more than a gentle probing from a reporter from a friendly state that the US "helped" to prosper, on Friday he gave the first White House interview to an Irish journalist for 20 years.
But the state broadcaster RTE subjected him to a grilling which left him fuming and had media commentators and license-payers debating the Irish style of journalism.
It was intended as a cordial start to yesterday's EU-US summit in Ireland, which sought to patch up a relationship troubled by Iraq before he headed to the NATO summit in Turkey yesterday afternoon.
Some claimed that Bush's first visit to the Irish Republic had been tailored to give him a pre-election media opportunity to impress the 50 million or so Irish folk back home, and Irish prime minister Bertie Ahern's fashion sense would ensure that he got the coverage he requires.
Once known as anorak-man, Ahern hogged so much media time with his recent appearance in a garish pair of canary-yellow trousers at the G8 summit that the issue was raised in the Irish parliament.
But RTE's Washington correspondent, Carole Coleman, was not about to let Bush off the hook. In an interview broadcast on television and radio breakfast shows she persisted with questions about dead US soldiers, torture, the issue of making the world a more dangerous place and about being disliked.
"I don't really try to chase popularity polls," the president said.
After Irish churchmen queried the president's morals this week, there was also an inevitable question about his devotion to the Lord.
"I get great substance from my personal relationship [with God]," he said.
"That doesn't make me think I'm a better person than you are, by the way, because one of the great admonitions in the good book is, `Don't try to take a speck out of your eye if I got a log in my own,'" he said.
The thousands of Stop Bush protesters at Shannon airport, where Bush was due to land Friday night, were not swayed.
A warehouse on Shannon's industrial estate had been converted into a makeshift courthouse with holding cells for up to 150 people and a judge was on standby.
Irish demonstrators were resolute. "No red carpet for killer Bush," said a placard in a hedgerow.
‘GROSS NEGLIGENCE?’ Despite a spleen typically being significantly smaller than a liver, the surgeon said he believed Bryan’s spleen was ‘double the size of what is normal’ A Florida surgeon who is facing criminal charges after allegedly removing a patient’s liver instead of his spleen has said he is “forever traumatized” by that person’s death. In a deposition from November last year that was recently obtained by NBC, 44-year-old Thomas Shaknovsky described the death of 70-year-old William Bryan as an “incredibly unfortunate event that I regret deeply.” Bryan died after the botched surgery; and last month, a grand jury in Tallahassee indicted Shaknovsky on a charge of manslaughter. “I’m forever traumatized by it and hurt by it,” Shaknovsky added, also saying that wrong-site surgeries can happen “during
Former Chinese ministers of national defense Wei Fenghe(魏鳳和) and Li Shangfu (李尚福) were both sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve over graft charges, state news agency Xinhua reported on Thursday, underscoring the severity of the purge in the military. The armed forces have been one of the main targets of a broad corruption crackdown ordered by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) after coming to power in 2012. The purges reached the elite Rocket Force, which oversees nuclear weapons as well as conventional missiles, in 2023. Earlier this year they escalated further, resulting in the removal of the top general in
New Zealand is open to expanding its frigate fleet beyond its current two vessels, with New Zealand Minister of Defence Chris Penk saying “no options are off the table” as the government weighs buying new warships from Japan or the UK. The government yesterday said it is looking to replace its two aging Anzac-class frigates, which were both commissioned almost 30 years ago. The UK’s Type 31 and Japan’s Mogami-class warships are the options under consideration. Speaking in an interview, Penk said there is potential to increase the number of frigates the nation purchases. “We need a certain amount of capability as a
The Philippine Coast Guard yesterday said it deployed aircraft to issue radio warnings to a Chinese research ship in a disputed area of the South China Sea “swarming” with vessels from Beijing’s so-called maritime militia. The research vessel Xiang Yang Hong 33 (向陽紅33), which is capable of supporting submersible craft, was operating near a reef in the contested Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), which Taiwan also claims, the Philippine Coast Guard said. The Chinese ship was deploying a service boat toward the Spratly’s Iroquois Reef on Wednesday when it was spotted by a coast guard plane, “confirming ongoing unauthorized [marine scientific research]