The UN Security Council unanimously approved a resolution giving a green light for the UN to prepare for a peacekeeping operation in southern Sudan and calling for a halt to fighting in the western Darfur region and elsewhere.
Friday's resolution welcomes the signing of a declaration on June 5 by representatives of the Sudanese government and southern rebels covering six previously negotiated protocols, and their commitment to complete a peace agreement.
Among the procedures left to finalize are an internationally monitored cease-fire agreement and a timeline for implementing the pact that will end a 21-year civil war. Talks to put together the comprehensive peace agreement will begin June 22.
The Security Council urged the government and southern rebels to conclude the agreement "speedily," saying it would contribute "to improved stability and peace in Sudan."
Sudan's UN Ambassador Elfatih Mohamed Erwa said "right now there is peace in the south."
A ceasefire has been in place for two years, he said, and now that "the major obstacles" in a final agreement have been overcome the last issue is implementation.
The resolution welcomes Secretary-General Kofi Annan's proposal to establish an advance team, for an initial three-month period, to make contact with the parties and prepare for an international monitoring mission once a final peace agreement is signed.
The council asked Annan to make recommendations on the size, structure and mandate of a UN operation "as soon as possible" after the final deal is reached.
In the meantime, the resolution authorizes the United Nations to start pre-positioning critical supplies and personnel to facilitate rapid deployment of a possible mission to assist in monitoring and verifying compliance with the final peace deal.
During final negotiations on the text of the resolution, there was a debate over whether the fighting in Darfur should be included, because it is separate from the conflict in the south.
Late last month, the Security Council put new pressure on the Sudanese government to end the conflict in Darfur, where thousands have been killed in fighting between Arab militias and the black African population. Thousands more have been driven from their homes and the United Nations says 2 million people are in acute need of food and medical help.
The resolution adopted Friday calls for an immediate halt to fighting in Darfur and in the Upper Nile, calls for a political agreement "without delay," and welcomes African Union efforts to help achieve one.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout