Four US soldiers were killed in action in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, the latest sign of a growing militant insurgency that threatens to disrupt landmark elections due in September.
In one of the worst losses for US forces since the fall of the Taliban late in 2001, four service members assigned to a special forces unit were killed in the southern province of Zabul, scene of regular guerrilla attacks in recent months.
More than 700 people have died in violence since August, most of it blamed on Taliban and al-Qaeda fighters who have declared a jihad, or holy war, against foreign and Afghan troops as well as aid organizations.
The acceleration in attacks on US and Afghan forces in the last two months is particularly worrying as the country heads toward its first-ever free vote, which the West hopes will give legitimacy to a government seen by many as a US puppet.
"Four US service members assigned to the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force, Afghanistan were killed in action today here in southern Afghanistan," said a brief statement from the US military.
"Names will not be released until notification of next of kin is complete," the statement said.
The four deaths bring to 90 the number of US fatalities in Afghanistan, 56 of them in combat.
A spokeswoman said there were no more details available.
In what has been a bloody week for Afghanistan, seven Afghan soldiers and four suspected Taliban fighters died in clashes in the southern province of Helmand on Saturday and two US soldiers were wounded near the Pakistani border on Thursday.
US aircraft supporting a patrol that came under fire on Tuesday in the southern province of Kandahar pounded Taliban positions, killing at least two militants, and a Norwegian peacekeeper was killed in a grenade attack in Kabul a week ago.
On Saturday, the US military announced plans to deploy the 10,000-strong Afghan National Army (ANA) across the country to secure polling and voter registration, which has lagged behind expectations partly because of security fears.
They will work alongside 20,000 US-led soldiers, 6,500 international peacekeepers restricted largely to Kabul and a growing police force, said Major-General Craig Weston.
He added that the fledgling ANA would set up four permanent garrisons in the north, south, east and west of the country to help consolidate Afghan President Hamid Karzai's control outside the capital.
Karzai and his backers in Washington have been undermined both by a militant rebellion and by regional commanders officially loyal to him but who have resisted a key nationwide disarmament program and clashed with government militia.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told