Iraq has become the world's worst place for journalists to work in, the US-based Committee to Protect Journalists said in a statement issued to mark World Press Freedom Day yesterday.
The advocacy group also listed Cuba, Zimbabwe, Turkmenistan, Bangladesh, China, Eritrea, Haiti, the West Bank and Gaza, and Russia, following Iraq in a ranking that it said "represents the full range of current threats to press freedom."
"In all of these places, reporting the news is an act of courage and conviction," commented the committee's executive director Ann Cooper.
"Journalism is essential in helping all of us understand the events that shape our lives, and our need and desire for information cannot be eliminated by violence and repression."
The annual list of worst places to be a reporter, made public by the US-based Committee to Protect Journalists on Sunday, is designed to draw attention to the state of press freedoms around the world, as well as political violence that impedes the free flow of information.
Escalating fighting that exposes journalists to the daily threat of death, abduction and intimidation is deemed responsible for propelling Iraq to the top of the list.
As many as 25 journalists have been killed in action in Iraq since March last year, when a US-led invasion aimed at toppling the government of Saddam Hussein was launched, according to the group.
"More than a year after the war in Iraq began, the country remains the most dangerous place in the world to work as a journalist," the statement said.
It said reporters based in Iraq have to cope with banditry, gunfire and bombings, while anti-American insurgents have added a new threat by systematically targeting foreigners, including non-Iraqi journalists, and Iraqis who work for them.
At least six Iraqi media workers have been murdered and several more have received threats since the launch of Operation Iraqi Freedom, according to the report. Meanwhile, armed groups have abducted at least eight journalists so far this year.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told