China has told the US and former colonial master Britain to mind their own business over its refusal to allow full democracy for Hong Kong any time soon.
"We are Chinese," Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing (李肇星) told reporters in Shanghai yesterday after Washington and London criticized Beijing for blocking political reform.
"Are you clear on that? Hong Kong is China's Hong Kong."
PHOTO: REUTERS
Li added: "Do you think Hong Kong was democratic under British rule? Did the British raise concerns about that? Did the Americans raise concerns? No. Why don't you take a look at this double standard?"
China's most powerful legislative panel told Hong Kong citizens in a ruling on Monday that they cannot democratically choose a successor to unpopular Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa (
Beijing also said Hong Kong will be allowed to directly elect only some, and not all, its lawmakers in 2008.
Many Hong Kongers, who want a fully democratic political system for the territory, have responded with a mix of defiance and resignation.
Student activists burned a copy of Hong Kong's mini-constitution, the Basic Law. Pro-democracy lawmakers chanted slogans and unfurled a banner before storming out of a meeting with a top mainland legislative official.
The Standard newspaper yesterday lamented "a sad day for China."
"Yesterday's ruling from the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress that there will be no democracy for Hong Kong was bad enough," The Standard wrote in an editorial. "The way it was delivered showed contempt for Hong Kong's people. Tragically, the ruling also mocks China's desire to be one of the world's trusted leading nations."
Critics say the decision violates China's agreement to grant Hong Kong a great deal of autonomy after the former British colony was handed back in July 1997.
Beijing said full democracy remains a goal for Hong Kong, but that a quick shift to universal suffrage poses too many risks of social and economic instability.
The US Department of State disagreed, saying international confidence in Hong Kong is based on its rule of law and a high degree of autonomy.
"We're disappointed by the decision, as we believe it doesn't adequately reflect the expressed wishes of the Hong Kong people for universal suffrage and democracy," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said in Washington.
British Foreign Office Minister Bill Rammell said in London that Beijing had acted inconsistently with its handover promises.
Many Hong Kong residents had expected Beijing to clamp down, but they still were disappointed.
"Hong Kong doesn't want to fight with the central government," said Dolby Tong, a 32-year-old shipping salesman. "We just want to choose our own government which reflects citizens' voices."
Ordinary Hong Kongers now have no say in choosing their leader. They will get to pick 30 of the 60 legislators here in September, but they won't get to elect more than half any time soon, Beijing ruled. The rest are picked by special interest groups, such as businessmen and bankers, who tend to side with Beijing.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told