A Muslim rebel was shot dead by Philippine police in the toilet of a Manila detention center yesterday, ending a three-hour hostage drama in which three guards were killed and three wounded. \nThe attempted jailbreak -- following the escape of an Indonesian militant from the same facility in July -- is likely to compound concerns about security ahead of a visit to Manila by US President George W. Bush on Oct. 18. \nPolice said the rebel, Buyungan Bungkak, grabbed an M16 rifle from one of his minders just after dawn yesterday while being escorted to an exercise yard at the Philippine National Police (PNP) headquarters. \nHe shot the guard and two others who tried to stop him. \nBungkak, 20, held two officers hostage for about three hours before a police SWAT team used the cover of smoke and tear gas to storm an office building inside the police compound and kill him. \n"He's dead," Criminal Investigation director Eduardo Matillano told reporters. "We shot him inside a toilet." \nOne member of the SWAT team and the two hostages were wounded during the rescue operation, he added. \nBungkak was being held with four other Abu Sayyaf rebels as suspects in the bombing of a shopping mall in October last year in the southern city of Zamboanga. None of others tried to flee. \nThe 300-strong Abu Sayyaf, which has its stronghold on the southern Sulu islands, is the most violent of four Muslim rebel groups in this largely Roman Catholic nation of 82 million. \nWashington blacklists Abu Sayyaf as a terrorist organization with links to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, which it blames for the attacks on the US on Sept. 11, 2001. \nThe police chief, Director-General Hermogenes Ebdane, ordered an inquiry into yesterday's incident, citing initial reports that Bungkak was not restrained when he was brought out of the detention center. \nEbdane said investigators were looking into reports that Bungkak regularly worked as an informal janitor in the detention center and had previously tried to escape when his guards were not watching. \nHe also removed from duty the officer responsible for the safekeeping of prisoners and ordered the transfer of the rest of the prisoners in the facility to another detention center inside the compound. \nThe PNP headquarters was the scene of a rebel jailbreak on July 14 when Fathur Rohman al-Ghozi, an Indonesian member of the regional militant network Jemaah Islamiah, strolled from his cell. He has yet to be recaptured. \nTwo detained Abu Sayyaf rebels fled with al-Ghozi but one was later killed by soldiers on the southern island of Mindanao. \nAn investigation of al-Ghozi's escape blamed incompetence and a faulty cell door, but there are lingering suspicions that he was given inside help. \nThe ease of his escape embarrassed the Philippine government, which is a stalwart ally in the Washington-led war on terror.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable