An Israeli soldier fired a machine gun that killed a 4-year-old Palestinian boy on Friday and wounded two young girls while all three were in a family truck at a military checkpoint on the edge of a West Bank village, the military and Palestinian witnesses said. \nThe Israeli army called the shooting an accident and expressed regret, while angry residents in the Palestinian village of Bartaa threw stones at the soldiers afterward. \nThe killing marked the third time in the last four days that the Israeli security forces have fatally shot unarmed Arabs at or near checkpoints. \nThe shooting occurred as the Kabaha family was returning to their home in Bartaa and their Mitsubishi truck was waiting in line at an Israeli checkpoint at the entrance to the village, in the northern West Bank, said Ali Kabaha, an uncle of the slain boy. \nAs two soldiers approached the truck on foot, a soldier atop a nearby armored personnel carrier unleashed a burst of machine-gun fire, Palestinian witnesses said. \nMahmoud Kabaha, 4, was hit in the head and killed instantly. A sister and another female relative, both about 8 years old, were wounded, Ali Kabaha said. \nThe soldiers provided treatment to the two injured girls and took them to an Israeli hospital, the military said. \nThe other family members in the truck, including the dead boy's grandfather, his mother and several additional siblings, were not hurt. \nAfter the incident, Palestinians counted more than a dozen bullet holes in the vehicle. \n"I was so mad at the soldiers," said Ali Kabaha, who arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting. "I was screaming at them that there was no need for this checkpoint, and no need to open fire." \nHe said Israeli soldiers briefly beat the one who fired the machine gun "because they were so angry at him." \nIn a statement, the Israeli army said, "There was an accidental burst of gunfire by the force that followed an operational error." \nThe military "expresses sorrow for the tragic event and has opened a thorough investigation," the statement added. \nIsraeli checkpoints have been a source of constant friction throughout the 34 months of Mideast fighting. Israel announced on Friday that it was removing three major barriers in the West Bank that have often blocked Palestinian movement. \nPalestinian officials say that Israel has more than 170 checkpoints in the West Bank. These obstacles not only prevent Palestinians from entering Israel, they often bar them from going from one Palestinian town to another. \nIsrael says it needs the security checks to prevent Palestinian attacks.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting