Independent Greater Kaohsiung city councilor candidate Lee Cheng-hsien (李政憲) yesterday morning drove a four-by-four vehicle through the front doors of Kaohsiung City Hall and poured gasoline on the floor of the lobby as he shouted: “Rise against tyranny.”
Lee threatened to ignite the gasoline with what appeared to be an electronic lighter, but was quickly subdued by two police officers and a security guard.
Lee said his protest was aimed at Kaohsiung Deputy Mayor Lee Yung-te (李永得), whom he alleged had “persecuted” his daughter’s company — which won a bid in November 2012 to build a badminton court in Fongshan District (鳳山) — resulting in the firm spending NT$5 million (US$160,750) to maintain the venue.
No one would listen to his complaints, forcing him to resort to a “last-ditch” measure, he said.
No one was injured in the incident, which began at 10am, and the glass doors did not shatter.
Police said Lee Cheng-hsien had two 36 liter containers of gasoline in the vehicle.
A police officer stationed at the mayor’s office on the third floor rushed downstairs after hearing the loud sounds of a vehicle’s brakes and joined another officer and one of the lobby guards in overpowering Lee before handcuffing him to a chair next to the information desk, police said.
Lee Cheng-hsien was taken in for questioning and later charged with violating public safety regulations and obstructing an officer in the discharge of duties.
The deputy mayor said he had heard of Lee Cheng-hsien, but did not know him personally.
Lee Yung-te said he could not understand the candidate’s accusations, as he had never interfered with the family’s leasing of land.
Local media reports said Lee Cheng-hsien was using the sports facility as his campaign headquarters in contravention of regulations on the use of public facilities and was ordered to remove all campaign materials from the premises.
Kaohsiung Information Bureau Director-General Ting Yun-kung (丁允恭) was quoted in media reports as saying that the order was in line with the law, which specifies that the land on which the building stands can be used for sports purposes only.
Ting said candidates should not attempt to harass government agencies as a way of attracting public attention and should let their campaigns speak for themselves.
The city’s Department of Sports said the badminton court is very popular with district residents.
Additional reporting by CNA
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day