The Pingtung District Court ruled yesterday that a major suspect in a recycled cooking oil sandal that has rocked the nation in the past few days must be detained.
Kuo Lieh-cheng (郭烈成), 32, was arrested after the scandal broke and was released on bail of NT$50,000 (US$1,672) on Thursday. Prosecutors filed a request with the court on Friday to detain him again, since it was discovered that he had withdrawn his total savings of NT$860,000 after he was released on bail on Thursday.
He appeared at the Pingtung District Court at 3pm yesterday for the detention appeal hearing. The court granted prosecutors’ request to hold him incommunicado on grounds that he might have accomplices and therefore might collude with them to falsify evidence and try to jump bail.
Photo: Yeh Yung-chien, Taipei Times
Prosecutors said Kuo owns a company which allegedly supplied tainted oil to Chang Guann Co (強冠企業), a food oil manufacturer in Greater Kaohsiung, and other food and cooking oil manufacturers.
Presiding judge Pan Cheng-ping (潘正屏) said Kuo was in violation of the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法), and the Controlling Guns, Ammunition and Knives Act (槍砲彈藥刀械管制條例), as police found a handgun on his property during a preliminary search earlier this week.
“We consider him at risk of fleeing and he also might collude with accomplices to falsify evidence. So he is now held incommunicado,” Pan said.
Photo: Huang Chih-yuan, Taipei Times
Regarding the NT$860,000 that Kuo took out of his bank account after being released on bail on Thursday, he was quoted as saying yesterday that it was to pay off debts.
Meanwhile, Pingtung police said yesterday that during a regular street patrol earlier yesterday morning, they found the front door of Kuo’s house had been splashed with red paint and people had thrown eggs at it.
The family was at home at the time and had not filed a complaint, according to police.
Local media reports indicated it could have been done by local residents who were angry at Kuo over the scandal.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a