An Indonesian sailor survived a shark attack after being rescued yesterday after the Taiwanese fishing boat he was on apparently caught fire in the East China Sea, but four other crewmen are still missing, officials said yesterday.
The Coast Guard Administration said it was informed by its Japanese counterpart at noon on Saturday that the 26-tonne Cheng Tsai Li was drifting 35 nautical miles (65km) northeast of Miyako-jima, an island in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture.
According to information provided by the Japan Coast Guard, the ship was partially destroyed and showed evidence of a fire, the administration added.
The Indonesian sailor was rescued by the crew of another Taiwanese fishing boat, it said.
“He had sustained several shark bites,” Coast Guard Administration Secretariat Director Hsieh Ching-chin (謝慶欽) said.
No details of the attack or the man’s injuries were available.
Two coastguard vessels from Taiwan and two from Japan are searching for the missing crew: a Taiwanese skipper, a Taiwanese sailor and two Indonesian sailors.
“As of now, we have had no luck. We’re racing against time as the weather is cold,” Hsieh said, adding that the cause of the accident was not yet known.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not