The Taipei District Court on Wednesday barred a 20-something Turkish student from leaving the country after he was accused of trying to sexually assault a Taiwanese student he met online and filming bedroom trysts with dozens of women without their knowledge.
The court also imposed a residence restriction on the man, identified by his Chinese surname, Wang (王), who was released on NT$200,000 bail after the court turned down a request from the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office to detain him on the sexual assault charge.
Prosecutors have appealed the court’s decision.
Photo: Wang Min-wei, Taipei Times
Investigators said a female student living in northern Taiwan called the police in April, saying that Wang, whom she had met over the Internet, had asked her to meet him at an MRT station, but later “lured” her to his apartment by claiming that he had to “feed his pet rabbits.”
The woman said that Wang tried to sexually assault her shortly after she arrived at his Taipei residence and that although she fought him, Wang still managed to kiss her on the lips and chest, the investigators said.
Wang yesterday denied all allegations, saying he had “stopped once the student said ‘no,’” the investigators said.
After being released on bail, he said he had not ruled out taking legal action against the woman for making false accusations.
Investigators who searched Wang’s residence said they found 29 video files on his cellphone and computer showing him having sexual intercourse with different women. While the women in the videos appeared to be lucid, they might have been unaware that they were being filmed, investigators said.
They said they had seized and encrypted the video files to prevent their release.
Wang said he has never forced any woman to engage in sexual intercourse and that he filmed the encounters for his own viewing, adding that he had “made copies of the tapes for the women.”
To prove that his sexual activities with the videotaped women were consensual, Wang said he had had consensual sex with almost 500 Taiwanese women since he came to Taiwan four years ago.
Sources say Wang, who is studying at a private university in Taipei, was born to a Turkish father and a Canadian mother. Because of his good looks and fluency in Mandarin, he was once invited to be a guest on a Taiwanese matchmaking reality show, the sources said.
The show’s production team said it had conducted strict background checks on all the guests and Wang had “seemed quite normal.”
The school Wang reportedly attends said there was a junior with the same name as Wang, but it was uncertain if they were the same person.
“We will await the results of the police investigation,” the school said.
Additional reporting by Lai Hsiao-tung and Wu Chih-wei
White-label cellphones manufactured in a Chinese factory are believed to contain Trojan software that enables fraudsters to set up mobile game accounts using the owners’ phone numbers, police said on Saturday, with nearly 100 older people affected so far. After receiving a number of complaints from local branches over the past few months, the National Police Agency launched an investigation into the mobile game points-for-cash scam. The fraudsters would pose as women online to persuade people to buy game point cards at supermarkets and load the points into accounts created with the cellphone users’ phone numbers before requesting cash refunds from the
‘UNAFRAID’: Most Taiwanese do not seem to be aware of the danger of war and might be unprepared, a KMT legislator said of the poll by an affiliated foundation Nearly 60 percent of Taiwanese believe that a war between Taiwan and China is “unlikely” or “impossible,” a survey released yesterday by the National Policy Foundation showed. The survey asked participants if they thought there was a possibility of war between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait based on recent developments, said the foundation, which is affiliated with the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT). While 42.5 percent of respondents thought it was “unlikely” and 17.1 percent believed it was “impossible,” 5.1 percent said it was “very likely” and 17.2 percent said it was “fairly possible,” the survey showed. Another 18.2 percent gave
The Taipei District Court yesterday ordered three more suspects in a feces attack on a Taipei restaurant to be held incommunicado over concerns that they might tamper with evidence, flee or renew their alleged attacks. The three suspects — two brothers surnamed Lee (李) and another man identified as Chiang (江) — were arrested on charges of vandalism, public insult, extortion and injury after the court held a detention hearing earlier in the day, court spokesperson Huang Pei-chen (黃珮禎) said. The court in a statement said that the three men said they had no rancor against anyone in the restaurant and that
DISCUSSION: The KMT chairman said that Retrocession Day is an important ROC holiday and its celebration had nothing to do with a struggle within the party The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) hopes to highlight the “important connection” between the Republic of China (ROC) and Taiwan with its celebration of Retrocession Day on Sunday, KMT Chairman Johnny Chiang (江啟臣) said yesterday. In response to media queries in Taichung, Chiang said that Retrocession Day is an important ROC holiday, and that its celebration had nothing to do with a struggle within the KMT over its party line. The KMT values ROC holidays, such as Double Ten National Day and Retrocession Day, he said, adding that since the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) came to power, observation of the holidays has “weakened.” The