The military said on Saturday that the commander of a Navy fleet that sailed off course during a recent military exercise had been punished for “serious disciplinary violations,” but denied that the decision was made following pressure from Japan.
Although Rear Admiral Chang Feng-chiang (張鳳強), former commander of the 168th Fleet, had informed the Navy by cable of his plan to sail out of Taiwan’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ), he failed to obtain permission from his superiors, Naval Inspector-General Chou Mei-wu (周美伍) said.
The Navy will also look into the errors that allowed the fleet to stay outside the zone for 12 hours without being instructed to return, Chou said. A meeting is scheduled to be held today to discuss the matter.
During the exercise off Taiwan’s east coast late last month, Chang’s fleet did not operate in the area planned for the drill, but instead sailed toward the Japanese island of Yonaguni, located about 100km east of Taiwan. Chang was given a major demerit and removed from his position o Wednesday last week.
In a statement issued late on Friday, the Ministry of National Defense said that Chang had “seriously violated the discipline of the exercise” by changing the exercise plans without permission and refusing to comply with instructions to keep the fleet in a specific area.
The ministry dismissed as “mere fabrication” a report by the Chinese-language United Evening News that a retired Japanese military attache visited the ministry to express his concern following the incident and that the decision to punish Chang was a “kowtow to Japan.”
“The handling of the case has nothing to do with Japan,” it said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) said Chang should not have been punished. Although Chang’s fleet sailed outside Taiwan’s ADIZ, it stayed on the high seas and did not trespass into Japanese waters, Lin said.
He said the ministry’s decision to punish Chang would be seen as “cowardly” by the international community.
KMT Legislator Chiu Wen-yen (邱文彥), an expert in maritime affairs, said Chang’s fleet was operating within an exclusive economic zone claimed by Taiwan, which extends 200 nautical miles (370.5km) from the territorial sea baseline of the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) proclaimed by the government in 1998. Punishing Chang is tantamount to relinquishing Taiwan’s rights over the area, Chiu said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not