Vice President Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) yesterday paid tribute to a prominent victim of the 228 Massacre, Dr Pan Mu-chih (潘木枝), at a commemorative exhibition held to mark the 65th anniversary of his execution and to honor his dedication to the development of democracy in Taiwan.
Joined by family members of victims of the 228 Massacre, Siew attended the memorial exhibition titled: “The burning incense stick: 65 years of memories of the late doctor Pan Mu-chih,” held by the Memorial Foundation of 228.
Not long after the 228 Incident had begun, Pan conducted negotiations with Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) troops at Chiayi Airport on behalf of that city’s 228 Settlement Committee. However, he was detained by government troops during the negotiations and was executed in front of Chiayi Railway Station on Mar.25, 1947.
Photo: Wang Shan-yen, Taipei Times
The 228 Massacre refers to a bloody crackdown by KMT troops on an anti-government uprising that began on Feb. 27, 1947.
“Doctor Pan was not only my life-saver, but my mentor,” Siew said in a memorial film for Pan titled Died for the people, died with honor (為市民而亡,身雖死猶榮), which premiered at the exhibition yesterday.
Siew said Pan’s public execution left a lasting and a distressing memory because he had often received care from the doctor as a child.
“My mother had once said to me that without doctor Pan, I might not have lived to adulthood. He was a kind man not only to me, but also to each and every one of his patients,” Siew said.
Aside from his devotion to his patients, Pan also had been a key influence in Taiwan’s democratic development: He gave his life for Taiwan and for the people of Chiayi, Siew said.
“To commemorate the selfless sacrifice of doctor Pan, we must move forward with Taiwan’s democratic development and set the nation on a better direction,” Siew said.
The commemorative exhibition opened yesterday in the National 228 Memorial Museum and is scheduled to run through April 29.
Translated by Stacy Hsu, Staff Writer
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a