President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday announced his administration would give higher childbirth subsidies to female workers who give birth to twins, while offering loans to encourage women to start their own business as he promised to promote women’s rights.
Ma made the announcement at a forum with female labor representatives in Taipei.
Starting next year, female workers who give birth to twins would be entitled to a two-month childbirth subsidy, and those who have triplets can apply for a three-month subsidy.
Current regulations state that all female workers who give birth are eligible for a one-month childbirth subsidy from the labor insurance scheme.
The president also promised a three-year zero interest loan of NT$1 million to female workers who are the main financial providers in their families to help them start their own businesses.
The plan is an extension of the current two-year zero interest loan project.
“Most female workers have heavier responsibilities than their male counterparts as they try to strike a balance between family and work. I’ve always cared about women’s rights since my terms as Taipei mayor and it is my responsibility [as president] to protect their rights,” Ma said.
The announcement was Ma’s latest attempt to appeal to women’s groups ahead of the presidential election.
Earlier yesterday, Ma met with members of the former National Assembly, as the delegates pledged to support him in the presidential election.
The members, led by former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) and former director of the assembly Chen Ching-jang (陳金讓), promised to devote all their efforts to campaigning for Ma.
Ma, who also served as a member of the assembly, used the occasion to defend the so-called “1992 consensus,” arguing that the consensus was reached in August 1992 during a meeting of the National Unification Commission and that “one China” refers to the Republic of China.
Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) presided over the meeting in preparation for cross-strait negotiations between the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) and the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (ARATS) in October 1992 in Hong Kong and, despite the fact that no concrete results were reached during the negotiations, the SEF and ARATS agreed that each side could have its own interpretation of “one China,” Ma said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not