Taipei prosecutors announced yesterday they would not indict former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) over charges that he leaked national secrets by disclosing details about the Presidential Office’s underground tunnel.
Since such information had previously been made public by a former security chief, it was no longer considered a national secret, prosecutors said.
According to prosecutors, Chen attended a hearing on Oct. 8, 2009, at the Taiwan High Court, during which he gave details to the court about the Presidential Office’s underground tunnel connecting a residence of former president Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and his wife Soong Mei-ling (宋美齡) in Shilin District (士林) with the military’s Hengshan Headquarters (衡山指揮所), where a helicopter would be on standby in case of emergency.
Chen added that there’s a second underground tunnel connecting the Presidential Office and the Ministry of National Defense, where helicopters would also be on standby on the top of the ministry’s building, according to prosecutors.
Prosecutors said Chen, who had been detained during his corruption trials, was at the time trying to express to the court that he, despite having more knowledge than other people about escape channels, had no intention of fleeing the country if he was released on bail.
The Special Investigation Panel (SIP) prosecutors, who sat in on the hearing at the time, believed Chen might have violated the Classified National Security Information Protection Act (國家機密保護法) by making the information public and immediately asked Taipei prosecutors to look into it.
Taipei prosecutors said Peng Tzu-wen (彭子文), former director of the National Security Bureau’s Special Service Center, was found guilty by the Taiwan High Court of leaking national secrets to the media in September 2007.
The Taiwan High Court found Peng guilty of violating the Classified National Security Information Protection Act and sentenced him to two years in jail, although the sentence was suspended for four years.
Peng said on television that the Presidential Office and defense ministry underground tunnels would be open for the Double Ten National Day and that two helicopters would be on standby at military airports in Taipei in case of an emergency.
The Taipei prosecutors said since those classified information had been leaked by Peng, they were no longer regarded as classified information.
In addition, prosecutors said, as a defendant, Chen used his right to defend himself in court to elaborate on why he would not flee the country, so he was deemed to have no intention of purposely leaking national secrets.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has