Kaohsiung police yesterday said they recently rescued eight foreign workers from a manpower brokerage agency that was keeping them confined illegally.
Seven of the eight victims, who were from Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines, were locked inside the agency’s office in Kaohsiung, where the police also found other evidence related to the case, such as foreign workers’ passports, working visas and savings account passbooks, an official with the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office said.
The other victim was being held in a rooftop apartment.
Following the rescue of the foreign workers by police, some were deported as their visas had expired, while others were being cared for by the Kaohsiung County Government’s Labor Affairs Bureau.
Prosecutors said their office, in cooperation with the Kaohsiung County Government Police Bureau and the Kaohsiung City Reconnaissance Brigade, also summoned three executives from the agency for questioning. The executives were later released on bail.
The three individuals are also suspected of illegally forcing the victims to work overtime and reducing their salary by all possible means, prosecutors said.
The police search was sparked when earlier last week, the husband of a female foreign worker, who was the victim held in the rooftop apartment, reported to the Kaohsiung police that he had not been able to contact his wife for several days.
In other developments, a Taiwanese garment factory owner on Friday was sentenced to six months in jail for forcing three Muslim women on her staff to eat pork, but she could escape a prison sentence by paying a fine.
Chang Wen-ling (張雯琳) was sentenced for coercion after she confessed to forcing the three women, all from Indonesia, to eat the meat, which is considered taboo in Islam, according to the Banciao District Court in Taipei County.
However, in light of her confession and her decision to compensate the women, she will be allowed to pay a fine of NT$60,000 (US$1,875), a court spokesman said.
Chang admitted she wanted the three to eat pork “so they would have more energy to do work.”
The case caused an outcry in Taiwan and abroad when the three women complained that Chang threatened to cut their salaries if they refused to eat the meals she provided, including pork.
They also filed a complaint to the Taipei County Government, saying that they were overworked and had not been paid for around eight months.
There are about 350,000 foreign laborers in Taiwan, largely from Southeast Asia, including the Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not