Old documents uncovered by accident showed that the Republic of China was one of very few countries to help Jewish people escape from the Holocaust during World War II, with tens of thousands fleeing to China, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said yesterday.
Those documents, however, were not enough to clear the name of one of the main architects of this life-saving policy.
Ali Yang (楊心怡), deputy director-general of the Department of West Asian Affairs, said the ministry was motivated to study the history of the government’s treatment of Jews fleeing the Nazi regime after the story of late diplomat Ho Feng-shan (何鳳山) drew attention several years ago.
Historical documents showed that the decision to grant visas to Jews living in areas occupied by German troops was initiated by Sun Ke (孫科), then legislative speaker, approved by the Executive Yuan and signed by former president Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石), he said.
However, Yang stopped short of elaborating on the material uncovered by the ministry, saying he did not want to leave the impression that the ministry was taking advantage of Ho to bolster its reputation.
Asked by reporters about details of visas issued to Jewish refugees at the time, Yang said that many files were not accessible as they were left in China after the government fled to Taiwan in 1949.
Ho, who served as the Chinese consul-general in Vienna from 1938 to 1940, issued visas to Shanghai to all Jews requesting to leave Austria after the country was annexed by Nazi Germany in March 1938.
Those facts, not known until after his death in 1997, led Jewish organization Yad Vashem to confer upon him the title “Righteous Among the Nations.” He was also known as the “Chinese Schindler” after Oskar Schindler, the subject of a blockbuster movie by US filmmaker Steven Spielberg.
Yang said the ministry was scheduled to commend Ho last year, but that his son, Monto Ho (何曼德), an academic at Academia Sinica, and his daughter rejected the plan because they wished the government would clear his father’s name in an impeachment case.
The Control Yuan impeached Ho Feng-shan in the 1960s on charges of embezzlement when he served as the representative to Colombia. He was removed from the position and deprived of his government pension.
The impeachment was approved by the Judicial Yuan’s Public Functionary Disciplinary Sanction Commission.
Saying that the ministry sympathized with Monto Ho and his sister about their wish to restore their father’s reputation, Yang said the ministry was unable to ask for the investigation to be reopened, as no new evidence had been uncovered.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not