Prosecutors from the Taiwan High Court Prosecutors’ Office Special Investigation Panel (SIP) yesterday appealed in the Supreme Court the High Court verdict reducing the length of the sentences given to former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍).
“The verdict does not reflect the kind of punishment the defendants should be receiving,” the 50-page appeal said, adding that the judges gave conflicting reasons in their decision and applied the wrong articles of the law to back their judgment.
The prosecutors said they had been working on the appeal since they received a copy of the Taiwan High Court’s verdict on June 15, four days after it was handed down.
In the verdict, Chen’s life sentence was reduced to 20 years. In September last year, the Taipei District Court found the former president guilty of embezzling state funds, committing forgery and laundering some of the money through Swiss bank accounts.
The High Court’s ruling reduced the NT$200 million (US$6.17 million) fine imposed on Chen by the Taipei District Court to NT$170 million, while commuting a lifetime suspension of his civil rights to 10 years. The High Court said new findings showed the amount embezzled was less than found by a lower court.
The High Court also reduced Wu’s life sentence to 20 years and cut her fine from NT$300 million to NT$200 million.
Six of the other eight defendants, including Chen’s son Chen Chih-chung (陳致中) and daughter-in-law Huang Jui-ching (黃睿靚), also had their sentences reduced.
Allegations of corruption and abuse of power against Chen, his family and members of his entourage were initiated by prosecutors after he lost presidential immunity when he left office in 2008.
During his trial, prosecutors accused Chen and his wife of accepting bribes to facilitate property deals, laundering money overseas and embezzling millions from a special presidential fund.
They said NT$700 million was remitted to accounts in Singapore and the Cayman Islands and later moved to Swiss bank accounts.
Chen was first detained on Nov. 12, 2008, and released on Dec. 13, after he was indicted. He was again detained on Dec. 30 and has remained in detention ever since.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the