Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) yesterday defended the city government’s decision to halt the opening of the tender for design proposals for a national pop music venue.
“After we publicized an on-line invitation to bidders, many experts specializing in pop music complained that we did not invite pop musicians or experts to evaluate their proposals. So we were wondering whether we should include specialists from pop music circles in the evaluation process,” Chen said.
The city government became the center of a controversy after Hsia Chu-joe (夏鑄九), a professor at National Taiwan University’s Graduate Institute of Building and Planning and one of the original evaluators, on Wednesday accused the city government of ruining the impartiality of the international bidding process.
The city government on March 9 invited international construction companies and architects to submit their designs for the nation’s first pop music and oceanic cultural center, which is to be located at Kaohsiung Harbor. The project is expected to cost NT$5 billion (US$154.3 million).
The submission closed on Monday, while the tender opening was scheduled for Tuesday. The 10 judges were scheduled to evaluate the proposals on Wednesday and yesterday before choosing five potential winning bidders.
The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday that the city government had received 137 proposals from architects in countries including Britain, the US, Italy, Spain, Russia.
However, the city government raised eyebrows by adding five pop music professionals to its list of judges on Wednesday last week and announcing that it would halt the tender opening on Tuesday.
Hsia complained to reporters that he did not know the scheduled evaluation process was canceled until he arrived in Kaohsiung via the High Speed Rail on Wednesday morning.
Hsia said the city government had caused itself a great deal of trouble by canceling the scheduled bid opening and evaluation process because many international design teams had flown in to report their ideas.
Chen said yesterday that the city government was trying to make the bidding process “more transparent.”
Chen dismissed the impact of the sudden change, saying “the procedure will only be delayed by one month.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not