The National Freeway Bureau announced on Saturday that it will send a notice on July 1 to Far Eastern Electronic Toll Collection Co (遠通電收) for failing to meet the terms of the agreement stated in its build-operate-transfer contract.
Far Eastern promised in the contract that it would raise the average usage rates of On-Board Units (OBU) at the nation’s toll booths, while the contract also listed specific goals to be achieved at different phases of the contract.
MISSED GOAL
The company has managed to meet the goals set for the first and second phases. However, the third phase goal is to elevate the average usage rate of OBUs to 45 percent by the end of this month. The company has advised the bureau that it cannot meet the stated goal, saying it has so far achieved an average usage rate of only 38 percent.
The bureau’s deputy chief engineer Wu Mu-fu (吳木富) said the notice to be sent on July 1 would advise the company that it has not met the stated goal and ask it to propose a solution to address the situation.
PENALTIES
“If the situation has failed to improve, we could either penalize Far Eastern NT$500,000 per day for failing to meet its target or terminate the contract,” Wu said.
Wu said the bureau would evaluate Far Eastern’s proposed solution and determine a reasonable amount of time for it to be implemented, adding that the solution must not compromise the government’s policy of charging motorists based on the number of kilometers they travel on the nation’s freeways by the end of 2012.
REJECTED PROPOSAL
Earlier this year, Far Eastern proposed that the government should give OBU users discounted toll fees as a way to help raise the average usage rate. That proposal, however, was rejected by the bureau.
Instead, the bureau said Far Eastern should either consider reducing its OBU charges or simply offer free OBUs to motorists.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not