Former minister of foreign affairs James Huang (黃志芳), who fell from grace in 2008 because of his involvement in a scandal involving an alleged attempt to establish diplomatic relations with Papua New Guinea, testified in a Singapore court yesterday.
He and several former government officials have been blamed for being conned out of US$29.8 million by two brokers.
Huang told reporters he felt calm about his court appearance and said he was acting in the best interests of the nation when he agreed to pay the two brokers to help forge ties with Papua New Guinea.
The two brokers, Wu Shih-tsai (吳思才) and Ching Chi-ju (金紀玖), reportedly promised the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and former National Security Council secretary-general Chiu I-jen (邱義仁) in 2006 they could help Taiwan establish diplomatic relations with the country if Taipei was willing to pay US$29.8 million to secure the interests of Papuan officials.
The ministry said the deal fell through when both men absconded with funds deposited in a Singaporean bank account co-owned by the ministry and the pair.
Wu has since turned himself in and is serving time in Taipei on fraud charges. He has repeatedly accused his partner of running away with the money but Ching, who is at large in the US, has issued statements saying he is innocent of all wrongdoing.
Taiwan has retrieved US$1.5 million and is trying to retrieve the rest of the funds, which have been frozen by Singapore’s OCBC Bank.
The hearing is expected to last until Friday.
The ministry said Ching asked to be excused from personally appearing at court, citing health issues and asking to participate via teleconference.
Despite Taiwan’s vehement protest, the judge granted Ching’s request yesterday afternoon, a Central News Agency report filed from Singapore said.
Some legal experts said this could be bad for Taiwan, because if the judge had denied his plea, the ministry’s lawyer could have argued that Ching had violated court orders by refusing to answer his subpoena.
Ministry Spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) said Ching would not take the stand until Thursday, after the witnesses from Taiwan have given their testimony.
Former Department of Pacific and East Asian Affairs director-general Donald Lee (李傳通), now an envoy to the Philippines, and mid-level consul Chang Chiang-sheng (張強生) also appeared at the court yesterday.
Chang was the last ministry official to see Wu before he allegedly ran off with a portion of the money in the middle of the night. Chang said he was asleep when Wu snuck away from the hotel room.
On May 6, 2008, then-premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) approved the resignations of then-vice premier Chiou and Huang. Huang apologized at the time but but maintained his innocence.
“I had planned to step down immediately after the scandal broke, but I felt obligated to assist the prosecutors in the probe. Last night, I decided it was the right time to step down,” Huang told reporters at the time.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not