Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) said yesterday the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) had little chance of making a clean sweep of the 17 seats up for grabs in the Dec. 5 elections for county commissioners and city mayors.
Wu, the former KMT secretary-general, made the comments in Hualien while President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) led party officials and Central Standing Committee (CSC) members in campaigning for Hualien County commissioner candidate Tu Li-hua (杜麗華) yesterday.
Later on, during the CSC meeting, Wu said that if the KMT could hold on to Nantou, Changhua and the counties and cities north of them, the party could view that as a victory.
He said that the four counties of Yilan, Hsinchu, Pingtung and Chiayi were the most important and that the party would be attacking and defending in equal measure.
Wu also said that he would take responsibility for any failure in the elections, as the candidates were all nominated during his tenure as part secretary-general.
Wu became premier three months ago.
BATTLES
Earlier in the day, Wu said the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) faced considerable difficulties in putting forth viable candidates in cities and counties where the KMT had a strong base, adding that the DPP’s only hope in those places was to try and team up with peripheral forces from the pan-blue camp.
The KMT faced a similar uphill struggle in localities where the pan-green forces were strong, so the party could not afford to be complacent, Wu said.
Ma will preside over four other CSC meetings in central and southern Taiwan ahead of the elections to raise support for KMT candidates.
HSIEH
Meanwhile, former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) said yesterday that the DPP should be able to win seven seats.
Campaigning for DPP candidates in Pingtung County, Hsieh said the DPP should be able to hold on to Yunlin, Pingtung and Chiayi counties and win four seats, including one in Ilan County.
Some areas under DPP administration are not featuring in the elections as they are set to become special municipalities administered directly under the central government and will hold elections next year.
Standing alongside Pingtung County Commissioner Tsao Chi-hung (曹啟鴻), Hsieh said that the government’s recent policies regarding the import of bone-in US beef have hurt Taiwan’s beef industry.
He advised voters to boycott Ma’s KMT over his failed policies and called on Ma to “resolve the problem of US beef instead of only worrying about elections.”
Council of Agriculture officials said yesterday that the controversial US bone-in beef would begin arriving “in the next few days.”
PRESIDENTIAL BID
In response to questions regarding who would represent the DPP for presidential elections in 2012, Hsieh said that for the moment the focus should be on the local elections.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MO YAN-CHIH
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the