Starting on July 1, Taiwanese passport holders under the age of 14 will require a face-to-face interview with a US immigration officer when applying for a US visa, the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said.
The announcement was posted on the official AIT Web site yesterday, but the AIT was reluctant to comment on whether the policy change was in response to human trafficking arrests made last month.
The ring, headed by Taiwanese and Chinese “snakeheads,” used personal information from Taiwanese Aboriginal children under age 14 but used pictures of underage Chinese girls to apply for Republic of China passports. The passports were then used to obtain a US visa. The victims often ended up working in brothels or sweatshops upon arriving in the US, Taiwan’s National Immigration Agency said.
It was reported that the parents or the caretakers of the Aboriginal children were led to believe the personal information was used to help their children apply for a NT$5,000 education subsidy from the local government.
Prior to the policy change, Taiwanese youths under age 14 were not required to appear at AIT for a personal interview with the visa officers. Their parents or legal guardians were allowed to apply for the visa on their behalf. Tour agents were also allowed to apply for the visa as long they provided the national identity cards and household registration of the minor’s parents.
The AIT Web site stated that as of July 1 the AIT will require personal appearance of all non-immigrant visa applicants under 14. These applicants will need to make an appointment through the AIT Web site and their parents or legal guardians must accompany them to AIT Taipei for an interview. Persons above age 79 are still exempt from the interview process.
When asked if the policy change was in response to the recent human trafficking case, AIT spokesman Thomas Hodges yesterday declined to give a direct answer, but referred to comments made by AIT Director Stephen Young.
Asked about the possibility of including Taiwan in the US’ visa-waiver program last December, Young said: “Too often, we have found instances where people who were not Taiwan citizens have been able to obtain genuine Taiwan passports.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not