The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) passed a resolution during its Central Standing Committee meeting yesterday asking the Ministry of Justice to put more effort into reopening the investigation of the 319 shooting incident.
KMT Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) cited a public opinion poll and said he proposed the resolution in order to reveal the “truth” behind the incident.
“Tomorrow marks the fifth anniversary of the incident, and there is still a lot of mystery and suspicion surrounding the incident. As the ruling party, the KMT supports reopening the case,” Wu said at KMT headquarters.
The shooting happened during an afternoon motorcade by former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) in Tainan on March 19, 2004, one day before the presidential poll. Chen and Lu, standing in a Jeep, were both shot.
The authorities identified the shooter as Chen Yi-hsiung (陳義雄), who was found dead 10 days after the incident.
The KMT has questioned the incident, calling it an election scheme, and the legislature convened a 319 Shooting Truth Investigation Special Committee, convened by now Minister of Justice Wang Ching-feng (王清峰) to probe the case.
In August 2005, the Tainan Public Prosecutor's Office closed the case after concluding that Chen Yi-hsiung, the lone suspect in the shooting, had committed suicide.
Wu said President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) had issued his support for the resolution and agreed that more personnel should be assigned by the ministry to probe the case.
“According to an opinion poll, more than 80 percent of the public don't believe the results of the investigation, and even former vice president Lu has challenged it. The ministry should include more staff to probe the case,” Wu said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not