A shipment of dragon fruit imported from Vietnam earlier this month had been found to contain pesticide residues, but about 18,000kg of the tainted fruit has already been sold, food safety inspection officials said on Friday.
Hsieh Ting-hung (謝定宏), deputy director of the Bureau of Food Safety, said samples of the fruit, imported by Kieunga Import-Export Trading Co, were found to contain 0.27 parts per million (ppm) of prochloraz, a pesticide used in the cultivation of a variety of crops such as small berries, mushrooms and rice.
Hsieh said prochloraz is not highly toxic and the testing standard for small berries is set at below 1 ppm, but no prochloraz residue is permitted in dragon fruit.
The Pingtung-based trading company had sold a large portion of the tainted shipment before the test results were confirmed, but officials from the Department of Health and local health authorities confiscated the remaining 34 cases, each weighing 9.5 kg.
The company has been asked to produce a detailed customer list to facilitate tracking and recall of the tainted dragon fruit, also known as pitaya, Hsieh said.
It may be fined as much as NT$200,000, Hsieh said, adding that it might be deprived of the right to import goods for six months.
Also See: Focus on food safety fundamentals
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the