Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) vowed yesterday to establish a national "English village" to promote English education.
During a visit to the Happy Elementary School in Taoyuan County, Ma unveiled his English education platform aimed at strengthening "practical English teaching" in the country.
Ma said he would like to establish a national "English village" -- modeled after South Korea's experience -- that would coordinate activities among "English villages" in each city and county in Taiwan.
PHOTO: LEE JUNG-PING, TAIPEI TIMES
The English village in Taoyuan County, for example, could offer one-to-two-day study tour programs for all fifth graders in the county every semester, while sixth, seventh or eighth graders could participate in a one-week English program in the national English village, he said.
Such an English-learning environment can be established through collaboration between the government and civic groups, he said.
Taiwanese students have not been able to make significant progress in English learning because they do not have a "context" in which they can sharpen their English skills through frequent practice, he said.
Experimental English learning programs can also be run in small elementary schools in remote areas, he said, adding that these could help bridge the English-ability gap between students in cities and townships.
If these experimental programs prove to be a success in small schools, they could further be developed into small English villages, he said.
When approached by reporters later, Ma said he believed fifth grade is the best time for elementary schoolchildren to study English.
He said he was opposed to having kindergarten children spend the whole day learning English because they should master Mandarin before they learn any second language.
Ma also said it was unnecessary and unfeasible to make English an official language.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a