The number of women smokers has risen and more girls under the age of 15 are lighting up, with psychological factors such as low self-esteem to blame, the Department of Health has found.
According to Bureau of Health Promotion figures, 4.76 percent of women over the age of 18 smoked regularly last year, while up to 5.84 percent had smoked in the past.
Although only a slight increase from the 4.54 percent figure recorded in 2004, bureau officials were concerned because the number of female smokers has been rising steadily over the years.
PHOTO: LO PEI-DER, TAIPEI TIMES
Deputy Director of the health department Wang Hsiu-hong (王秀紅), speaking at a press conference to address the issue, said women were plagued with smoking-related illnesses not only from smoking, but also because the high percentage of male smokers in the country, at 39.88 percent, means women are victims of secondhand smoke.
Wang added that cigarette companies are now targeting women, which was another reason for the increase in female smokers.
Bureau figures also showed that 54.20 percent of women smokers wanted to quit. In addition, 37.29 percent said they were exposed to secondhand smoke at home, while 25.54 percent said they were exposed at work.
The bureau also found that 4.2 percent of junior high school girls between the ages of 13 and 15 smoked, a rate almost as high as that of adults.
Up to 38 percent of junior high school students had tried their first cigarette before the age of 10, it found.
Chang Ching-ching (
Of these smokers, most came from blue-collar families, had bad parent-child relationships, were depressed or had low self-esteem, Chang said.
This differentiated them from high school boys, as Chang said the reasons high school boys smoke usually do not include low self-esteem.
Girls who smoke are mainly affected by psychological issues and need more support from parents and teachers, she said.
Also, 55.6 percent of the 1,415 girls polled said they had purchased cigarettes from convenience stores, Chang said.
Chao Kun-yu (
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not