The Ministry of Education will encourage the opening of more schools for Taiwanese businesspeople's children in China, or having them study on Kinmen Island, according to Minister of Education Huang Jong-tsun (
Huang made the remarks after having paid a visit to Kinmen on Wednesday, where he inspected the situation regarding such children going to school there. Huang was accompanied by senior ministry officials and various lawmakers.
According to Huang, his ministry is supportive of the establishment of more schools for Taiwan businesspeople's children in China. Otherwise, they can consider receiving education on Kinmen.
Huang made the proposal given the fact that only about 10 percent of businesspeople's school-age children based in southeastern China are able to enroll in local elementary and junior schools set up especially for them.
Kinmen County Education Bureau Chief Lu Chih-hui (盧志輝) briefed Huang and his entourage, reporting that a total of 42 children of Taiwanese businesspeople from Xiamen, Quanzhou and Zhangzhou in Fujian Province are studying in Kinmen now -- 10 in elementary schools, 16 in junior-high schools and eight each at senior-high schools and vocational schools.
Lu said Kinmen's schools can accept more businesspeople's children from China.
Kinmen County has in recent years earmarked more than NT$10 million (US$300,000) to build and refurbish student residences, Lu said, adding that its primary schools and junior-high schools can take at least 2,000 students and 1,000 students, respectively.
Lu stressed that Taiwanese businesspeople's children studying in Kinmen will be given the same privileges as local students, ranging from free insurance, books, transport and education fees to subsidized housing.
Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Cheng Jhen-long (程振隆) said only 1,500 out of about 15,000 Taiwanese children in the Dongguan and Shanghai areas are accepted by the special schools for Taiwan businesspeople's children.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not