Pan-green lawmakers yesterday strongly criticized their pan-blue colleagues' proposal to reduce compulsory military service to three months, calling it "irresponsible."
At a public hearing at the legislature yesterday, lawmakers with the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and the Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) shot down the three-month service term proposed by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and People First Party (PFP) to attract young voters.
DPP Legislator Lee Wen-chung (
The three-month service term was proposed as part of the blue camp's defense platform for the March 20 presidential election, which also involves the implementation of a volunteer soldier system within four years.
These two parts of the blue team's defense platform are supplementary to each other. Only if the military could recruit enough volunteers would the three-month service term become feasible.
The military has already launched an all-volunteer military system last year on an experimental basis. But the experiment was not successful. Over 600 volunteer soldiers were needed, but, so far, only one third of the positions have been filled.
"The blue camp's proposed volunteer system would cost the government NT$91.7 billion a year. This is just a rough estimate. We have not included other associated expenses," Lee said.
"The blue camp did not take into consideration all the objective conditions for the implementation of the system. Does the government have enough money to enforce the system? Do they know whether enough volunteer soldiers could be recruited?" he said.
TSU lawmaker Chen Chien-ming (
"Ironically, the blue team copied the three-month service term scheme from us [the TSU]. We proposed a similar scheme on May 4, 2002. The record is available from the legislature's archive," Chen said.
"The blue camp was then strongly opposed to the scheme. Some of their lawmakers called our idea `absurd' or `unconstitutional.' Now they have not only swallowed their words but also stolen our idea," he said.
"The service term can be cut only if the all-volunteer system could help the military find enough personnel to compensate for the loss of manpower due to the service term reduction," he said.
"The service term could be cut, for instance, to one year and two months if the military gets as many as 50,000 volunteer soldiers."
Lee said that while the blue camp proposed the three-month service term scheme, it did not tell the public how it would be implemented.
The current compulsory military service term is one year and ten months, but, starting from this year, it has been reduced to 20 months according to an administrative order from the Ministry of National Defense. It is not known how long the administrative order will be in effect.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not