Almost 8,000 Vietnamese saying they have suffered from marine pollution caused by Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corp (台塑河靜鋼鐵興業) yesterday filed a lawsuit in Taipei against the company’s investors, seeking NT$140 million (US$4.4 million) in compensation.
A spill of toxic chemicals from the Formosa Plastics Group (FPG, 台塑集團) unit’s under-construction steel plant in April 2016 caused mass fish deaths in waters off central Vietnam.
After a Vietnamese government report confirmed Formosa Ha Tinh’s accountability, the company in June of that year agreed to pay US$500 million in compensation for discharging water containing chemicals such as phenol, cyanide and iron hydroxides.
A coalition of Taiwanese and Vietnamese groups yesterday morning helped file the lawsuit at the Taipei District Court on behalf of 7,875 Vietnamese plaintiffs against the company’s main investors — FPG, China Steel Corp (中鋼) and Japan’s JFE Steel Corp — as they said many victims have not received compensation.
Members of the coalition protested yesterday afternoon outside Sunworld Dynasty Hotel, where FPG was holding its annual shareholders’ meeting.
After the spill, many Vietnamese fishers could no longer catch fish for a living and had to sell their boats, said Nguyen Hong Linh, a Vietnamese Catholic priest.
During protests in Vietnam over the spill, demonstrators were often abused or even arrested by the government, but they expect Taiwan’s rule of law to uphold justice for them, he said.
Taiwanese authorities should demonstrate that “Taiwan is a nation that can reflect on its own wrongs,” rather than one that turns a blind eye to victims, Environmental Jurists Association chairperson Chang Yu-yin (張譽尹) said.
Plaintiffs are claiming an aggregate compensation of NT$140 million, with individual claims varying with the level of proof attesting to their losses, he said.
The court must hold a hearing to decide whether to accept the case, but even if it accepts, deciding how to apply Vietnamese law to determine the firm’s liabilities and evidence of victims’ losses would be challenging, he added.
“In Vietnam, very few people have been compensated for the economic loss caused by marine pollution,” Paul Jobin, an associate research fellow at Academic Sinica’s Institute of Sociology, who traveled to Vietnam’s Ha Tinh and Quang Binh provinces last year, said at the protest.
“This lawsuit means a breakthrough in transnational advocacy for environmental justice,” Jobin said. “It is time for big polluters like FPG to take environmental safety and health issues very seriously.”
FPG released a statement saying it had paid the US$500 million fine imposed two years ago by the Vietnamese government as compensation for the losses of fishers in four Vietnamese provinces.
It had distributed the money to the affected fishers as requested by the Vietnamese government, the statement said.
The steel plant’s wastewater treatment has been monitored 24 hours a day by the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and there have been no sign of illegal actions, it said.
The Hung Nghiep Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Co, which runs the steel plant, also said that its level of wastewater and exhaust emissions have measured up to Vietnamese government’s standards over the past two years.
The plant in the Vung Ang Economic Zone of Ha Tinh Province is the biggest integrated steel mill in Southeast Asia. Its first furnace became operational on May 29, 2017, and the second one on May 18 last year.
Additional reporting by Kwan Shin-han and a staff writer
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did