Huawei Taiwan should reveal information about how it plans to protect its smartphone users in Taiwan after Alphabet Inc’s Google stopped providing Huawei Technologies Co (華為) with vital software updates, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday.
Google on Monday said that it has blocked the Chinese telecom equipment manufacturer from updates to some of its smartphone applications, such as YouTube and Google Maps, after US President Donald Trump’s administration on Thursday last week added Huawei to a trade blacklist, banning US firms from selling components and software to it due to national security concerns.
The US Department of Commerce gave US companies conducting business with Huawei a 90-day reprieve before the ban takes effect.
The commission on Tuesday met with representatives from Xunwei Technologies Co (訊崴技術) — Huawei’s exclusive distributor in Taiwan — to discuss potential issues that might arise from the US ban, NCC Department of Frequency and Resources Director Chen Chung-shu (陳崇樹) said.
“We focused on what Huawei has planned to do to protect the interests of its smartphone users. As the partnership between Google and Huawei is an issue that is ongoing, we hope that Xunwei will confirm details about the partnership with its headquarters and make that information public on its official Web site, as well as on its Facebook page,” Chen said, adding that Xunwei has pledged to update consumer-related information on its online sites.
Chen said that Xunwei should tell consumers whether they would be able to receive updates for the Google Play Store, the Android operating system and apps for Android devices, even though Huawei had said that the ban would not affect devices that are in use.
Xunwei must also inform its customers about returning their devices, Chen said.
As the nation’s telecom carriers have bundled Huawei smartphones with some of their service plans, Xunwei should also determine solutions to problems that might arise from this, Chen added.
Consumers must have adequate information available to them to make a choice, Chen said, adding that the principle applies equally to the company’s handling of new smartphones and devices that have already been sold.
The commission does not exclude the possibility of inviting representatives from Google Taiwan to provide additional clarification, Chen added.
The US government is reportedly also planning to blacklist Hangzhou-based Hikvision Digital Technology (海康威視), the world’s largest supplier of video surveillance products.
Asked if the government has a similar plan, NCC acting spokesperson Hsiao Chi-hung (蕭祈宏) said that the Executive Yuan is compiling a list of communication devices that would be banned in Taiwan, adding that it expects to make a final announcement after it has collected recommendations from government agencies.
The nation has already banned telecom carriers from using core network equipment manufactured by Huawei.
Xunwei issued an official statement on Facebook, saying that Huawei has made important contributions to the development of the Android operating system, which is open source software, and its ecosystem of applications.
“We will continue developing the Android system in a way that benefits users and the industry,” Xunwei said.
“Safety upgrades and post-sale services for our smartphones and tablet computers will continue to be available for our users around the globe,” the company added.
‘LOCAL TRANSMISSION’: The nation reported 11 new cases, including seven local infections in the north, the highest daily number of cases since the pandemic began The COVD-19 situation has entered the “local transmission” stage and enhanced disease prevention measures have been implemented until June 8, the Central Epidemic Command Center announced yesterday as it reported six locally transmitted cases with unclear infection sources. The center reported 11 new cases yesterday: four imported cases from India, and seven local infections in northern Taiwan, the highest daily number of cases since the COVID-19 pandemic began. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that one of the local infections — case No. 1,201 — is a woman who is a family member living with
SIXTEEN LOCAL: Three COVID-19 infections are linked to a cluster at a gambling house in Yilan County, 10 to a case in New Taipei City and three had unclear sources The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday urged people to increase vigilance and thoroughly practice preventive measures against COVID-19 as it reported 16 locally transmitted cases of the disease. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 21 cases were confirmed in Taiwan yesterday: 16 local cases, four imported cases and one case undetermined. The locally transmitted cases are three linked to a cluster of infections at a gambling house in Yilan County, 10 associated with a previous case in New Taipei City and three with unclear sources of infection. The CECC on Tuesday reported a cluster
TRACING TROUBLE: An infected man who had said that all his children were abroad was found to have a daughter in Kaohsiung who tested positive, the center said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported a new daily record of 29 local COVID-19 cases, including seven cases with unknown sources of infection. Of the 29 cases, 16 are linked to tea houses in Taipei’s Wanhua District (萬華), Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told a news briefing in Taipei. The 16 are tea house workers or visitors, or their contacts, the CECC said. Workers and visitors to the establishments have frequent interpersonal contact, but few protective measures against the COVID-19 pandemic are in place, Chen said, urging those who have been exposed or have
GRID PROBLEM: A Taipower spokesman said that the blackouts were not due to usage exceeding supply, nor were they because of a problem at the Singda plant There were rolling blackouts across Taiwan yesterday due to a grid malfunction at the Singda Power Plant (興達電廠) in Kaohsiung’s Yongan District (永安), while Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) said that it was working “as hard as possible to resolve the issue as soon as possible.” At 2:37pm, a malfunction at an ultra-high-voltage substation in Kaohsiung’s Lujhu District (路竹) triggered four generators at the Singda plant to go offline, cutting power output by 2.2 million kilowatts and prompting Taipower to initiate rolling blackouts nationwide as it worked on the problem. Taipower spokesman Chang Ting-shu (張廷抒) told a news conference in Taipei that