Participants in an outdoor nudist barbeque party in the mountains of Wulai (烏來) in New Taipei City escaped serious punishment for offenses against public decency, after prosecutors gave them only a one-year “stayed charge.”
Prosecutors said they decided to be lenient because the party organizers had tried to safeguard their privacy and the activity took place in a secluded location.
The leaders of the nudist group, a woman surnamed Chen (陳) and a man surnamed Chu (朱), organized the au naturel barbeque event, which took place in a forest in September last year.
Photo provided by police
The “stayed charge,” handed down earlier this week, means that the charges have been withdrawn, but each participant was fined NT$2,000.
Commenting on the decision, Chen said: “I enjoy the feeling of my clothes-free body being in touch with nature. What is wrong with that?”
Saying society is too conservative, Chen added: “Why do people think that the naked body is something dirty?”
“We are just a group of people who love to embrace freedom outdoors. It is a healthy lifestyle to bare one’s body in nature. We do not engage in wild sex parties; it is not a swinger’s club. I do not understand why people have such biased preconceptions.”
Chen and Chu utilized Facebook to invite fellow devotees of “naturism” to join the party. Male participants paid NT$1,000, while women forked out NT$300 to join the party.
According to a prosecutors’ statement, a total of 10 people — seven men and three women — ranging in age from 36 to 57, attended the event.
They drove by car to a forest in Wulai, then hiked to a place near the upper stream of Tonghou River (桶后溪) to a secluded location to hold the party.
Chen said that the fees were used to pay for the food, barbeque grills, fuel, equipment and other expenses.
She said men were charged more because they usually consume more food than women.
Chu said nudist camps are found in many countries around the world, and the clubs have families as regular members.
“So why do people in Taiwan give us peculiar looks as though something deviant is going on?” she asked.
“After what happened this time, I do not think that nudist clubs have any future in Taiwan,” she said.
According to media reports, someone tipped off the police about the event, and officers conducted an investigation, questioning Chu and other participants and taking photographs to use as evidence.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very