China considers “separatist forces” in Taiwan an impediment to the peaceful development of cross-strait relations and has cited it as a pretext to build up its military strength, with the goal of being capable of launching a large-scale attack against the nation by 2020, according to a Ministry of National Defense report.
Minister of National Defense Yen Ming (嚴明) is scheduled to attend a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense committee today to present his policy report, which was released yesterday.
To safeguard its core interests, China has devoted considerable effort to modernizing its military, developing advanced weapons and deploying its armed forces to enhance its warfare capabilities, Yen said in the report.
Yen said that China would continue to develop a deep-sea navy centered on a fleet of aircraft carriers, and new types of medium and long-range missiles and intercontinental ballistic missiles to hone its capability to launch long-range air strikes and nuclear counterattacks, anti-access and deterrence operations to prevent the intervention of external forces in a cross-strait conflict.
Because China has never forsaken the use of military force against Taiwan, the main objective of the nation’s armed forces is to train high-quality and professional military personnel who can meet the need for a prompt response. In annual exercises conducted by the army, navy and air force, the military will conduct confrontational drills to enhance joint operational capabilities, Yen said.
The ministry did not rule out that there could be sporadic conflicts involving claimants in the South China Sea and East China Sea if the claimants retain their positions and China continues to increase its maritime assertiveness, Yen said in the report.
Yen said that the military has earmarked budgets for a series of projects, including purchasing Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates, improving the capabilities of the Indigenous Defense Fighters and upgrading its F-16A/B aircraft and its land-based air defense missile systems.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures