Thu, Jun 05, 2014 - Page 1 News List

Beijing rejects tribunal request for plea response

TERRITORIAL CLAIMS:The international tribunal in The Hague has hinted it might go ahead with the case even if China refuses to submit to arbitration

Reuters, MANILA

China yesterday rejected an arbitration tribunal’s ruling giving it six months to respond to a case filed by the Philippines over disputed waters, saying it has no plans to take part.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, rejecting rival claims to parts from Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei in one of Asia’s most intractable disputes and a possible flashpoint. It also has a separate maritime dispute with Japan over islands in the East China Sea.

The tribunal in The Hague gave Beijing until Dec. 15 to reply to the first international case filed against China related to the energy-rich waters.

In giving China time to respond to the Philippines’ filing, which questioned the validity of Beijing’s so-called “nine-dash” claim, the tribunal was fulfilling its obligation to assure “each party a full opportunity to be heard and to present its case,” it said in a statement on Tuesday.

China has said all along it will not participate in the arbitration proceedings, preferring a bilateral approach to resolve the conflicts.

“China’s stance of not accepting and not participating in the relevant Philippines’ arbitration case has not changed,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Hong Lei (洪磊) told reporters yesterday.

The tribunal suggested it would continue hearing the Philippine complaint even without China’s involvement.

“The arbitral tribunal will determine the further course of the proceedings, including the need for, and scheduling of any other written submissions and hearings, at an appropriate later stage, after seeking the views of the parties,” it said.

Manila is seeking confirmation of its right to exploit waters in a 200 nautical mile (370km) exclusive economic zone as allowed under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, its lawyers have said.

“We continue to urge China to reconsider its decision not to participate in the arbitration proceedings,” said Charles Jose, spokesman for the Philippine Foreign Affairs Department.

“We also wish to reiterate that arbitration is a peaceful, open and friendly resolution mechanism that offers a durable solution to the disputes in the South China Sea,” he said.

The US has said it supports the Philippines’ arbitration case, closely watched by other claimant states, including Vietnam, which said last month it was considering legal action against China after Beijing moved an oil rig into waters claimed by Hanoi.

Additional reporting by AP and staff writer

This story has been viewed 2815 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top