Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) missed a court date for a corruption case yesterday due to an angina attack, but he was said to be in stable condition after treatment.
The 89-year-old was to attend preliminary proceedings at 9:30am at Taipei District Court for a case in which he is accused of embezzling US$7.8 million from secret diplomatic funds. However, he suffered chest pains at 5am and canceled his appearance.
Doctors from Taipei Veterans General Hospital went to Lee’s residence to examine him and recommended that he call off plans to go to court, said Wang Yan-chun (王燕軍), director of Lee’s office.
“He was disappointed that he couldn’t make it,” Wang told reporters outside the court, adding that Lee was in stable condition, but that he has had symptoms of myocardial anoxia (a lack of oxygen in the heart muscle) since he underwent cancer surgery in November last year.
Lee’s heart condition could have been brought on by fatigue because he had been studying court documents late into the night on Thursday, Wang said.
Yesterday’s proceedings were the first time Lee would have appeared in court as a defendant after he was indicted for corruption on June 30 last year.
The court said the proceedings would be postponed until Aug. 10, when Lee has promised to appear in court, Wang said.
Lee has previously said he was eager to prove his innocence before the court, but was disappointed that the trial had not begun until almost a year after he was indicted.
A secret donation of US$10.5 million made in May 1994 to maintain friendly relations with the ruling party of a then-diplomatic ally, reportedly South Africa’s African National Congress, is at the heart of the prosecutors’ case.
Prosecutors say the donation was provided from a secret National Security Bureau fund to cover a shortfall in the budget of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Created from leftover national security budgets, the fund could only be used with the explicit approval of the president.
Lee and his aide Liu Tai-ying (劉泰英) are accused of illegally siphoning off US$7.8 million to establish the Taiwan Research Institute when the foreign ministry attempted to return the money between 1998 and 1999.
Due to the confidential information involved in the case, yesterday’s proceedings were closed to the public.
The former president’s lawyer, Wellington Koo (顧立雄), said part of the court materials were confidential and could not be copied by the defendant’s lawyer, which would be a violation of the Classified National Security Information Protection Act (國家機密保護法).
Koo said he argued with the judges and hopes to obtain photocopies of the classified documents, which would be crucial for Lee to provide his testimony to the court.
The debate on whether Lee could obtain photocopies of all or part of the classified documents was why the case has proceeded so slowly, Koo said.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House