China yesterday sentenced to death six more people convicted of murder, arson and other violent crimes during ethnic rioting that left at least 197 dead in the far-western city of Urumqi, bringing the total number of death sentences linked to the July unrest to 12.
The six sentenced to death yesterday were among 14 tried on Wednesday by the Urumqi Intermediate People’s Court, five of them apparently from the Uighur ethnic minority and one from the Han Chinese majority.
Three of the death sentences were suspended for two years, after which such sentences are normally commuted to life in prison, subject to good behavior.
Three more defendants were sentenced to life in prison while the other five were also given long prison terms, Xinhua news agency reported from Urumqi.
Exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer condemned the earlier death sentences, passed on Monday against six Uighurs, as politically motivated and said they were likely to “further enrage” Uighurs, who have long complained of discrimination.
Han Chinese defendant Han Junbo (韓俊波) was among those sentenced to death yesterday, while the court sentenced his accomplice Liu Bo (劉波) to 10 years in prison, the agency said.
Han and Liu were accused of killing one Uighur and seriously injuring another during a revenge attack by Han Chinese residents of Urumqi on July 7, earlier reports said.
The 21 people tried this week are among 430 people charged with crimes linked to the rioting in early July.
Prosecutors had already sent cases against 108 suspects for trial by local courts, the agency earlier quoted a spokesman of the city’s chief procurator’s office as saying.
The rioting in Urumqi left 197 people dead and about 1,600 injured, according to the government.
Uighur exile groups, however, say that up to 800 people died in Urumqi, many of them Uighurs shot or beaten to death by police.
In a statement on Tuesday, Kadeer accused the government of using this week’s death sentences to “send a political message representing brute force, fear and intimidation.”
“The Chinese government has done nothing to substantively address the root causes of the July unrest, and has responded to the unrest by carrying out killings and mass detentions of Uighurs and bringing in tens of thousands of troops to the region,” she said, referring to the Xinjiang region, of which Urumqi is the capital.
The rioting on July 5 apparently began after a protest over the deaths of two Uighurs in the southern city of Shaoguan.
Kadeer arrived in New Zealand on Monday after being invited by the Green Party.
At a public meeting at the University of Auckland on Tuesday, Kadeer was greeted by a small number of vocal pro-Beijing protesters brandishing a banner reading “AU does not welcome terrorist.”
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue