Commandos stormed Pakistan’s army headquarters yesterday, ending a day-long hostage drama and freeing 39 people held by militants who brazenly struck at the heart of the military establishment.
Three hostages, two soldiers and four suspected Taliban militants were killed in a rescue operation hailed by the military as “highly successful” even though at least 19 people died in the assault.
Six soldiers and four other militants had already been killed in the nearly 24-hour siege, which began on Saturday in the garrison city of Rawalpindi and was the third dramatic militant strike in the nuclear-armed nation in a week.
The audacious attack exposed Pakistan’s vulnerability in the face of a Taliban militia that has regrouped after the death of its leader and is determined to thwart an army assault on tribal hideouts, analysts said.
In London, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the attack showed the scale of the threat faced by Pakistan, but voiced confidence that the country’s nuclear weapons were properly secured.
Military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said troops went in at about 6am and met resistance from five militants armed with suicide vests and barricaded in the building in the city, which adjoins Islamabad.
“Thirty-nine hostages were rescued and three were killed,” Abbas said, adding that the captives were shot dead by the militants. “The militants had suicide jackets, improvised explosive devices, grenades ... They wanted to blow up all the hostages and cause maximum damage.”
He said two soldiers and four of the insurgents were killed in the rescue operation. The leader of the militant team escaped and detonated a number of explosives before being injured and arrested.
“The operation is over. It was highly successful,” Abbas said.
He said that intelligence officials were investigating possible links between the sole surviving militant — named as Aqeel, also known as Doctor Usman — and the March attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore.
The Rawalpindi attack bore similarities to the March gun-and-grenade attack, which left six policemen and two civilians dead. Abbas said the militant held yesterday had the same name and alias as one of the Lahore attack suspects.
The drama began just before midday on Saturday, when nine gunmen in military uniform and armed with automatic weapons and grenades drove up to the Rawalpindi compound and shot their way through a checkpoint.
Four militants and six soldiers were killed near a second post but the rest of the rebels fled and took the 42 military employees hostage.
There has been no claim of responsibility, but military and government officials blamed Taliban-linked militants.
On her visit to London, the US’ top diplomat, Clinton, said the attack was another reminder that Islamist extremists were “increasingly threatening the authority of the state” of Pakistan.
She said, however, that the US had “confidence in the Pakistani government and military’s control over nuclear weapons.”
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) movement is based in the northwest tribal belt and is blamed for most of the attacks that have killed more than 2,200 people across Pakistan since July 2007.
The weekend siege came after a suicide car bomb on Friday killed at least 52 civilians at a busy market in the northwest city of Peshawar and an attack on a UN office in Islamabad last Monday left five aid workers dead.
The new Taliban leadership have vowed to avenge the death of their commander Baitullah Mehsud in a US drone missile attack in August, and are also keen to deter an assault on their stronghold, analysts say.
The military is wrapping up a fierce offensive against Taliban rebels in the northwestern Swat valley launched in April, with the army now poised to begin a similar assault in the nearby semi-autonomous tribal belt near Afghanistan.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
PARTNERSHIP AND LEARNING: A Princeton University health policy researcher said that the nation would be a ‘treasure trove’ of information for the US health chief US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar on Friday said he wants to learn about Taiwan’s “incredibly effective” response to COVID-19, even though the nation did things that the US has fumbled, such as having a unified strategy and citizens willing to wear masks. Azar leads a US delegation arriving today for a three-day visit to Taiwan. They are to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and health system leaders, and Azar is to give a speech to public health graduates. “The message of this trip is about Taiwan,” Azar said in an interview, deflecting a question about China.