Many people were feared dead after a ferry carrying more than 700 passengers and crew sank in heavy seas during a typhoon off the central Philippines, officials and reports said yesterday.
The MV Princess of the Stars went down at about noon on Saturday, several kilometers off the coast of Sibuyan Island, after being battered by huge waves overnight when its engines failed, officials and survivors said.
Four bodies washed ashore on Sibuyan and four survivors were found, but the death toll was likely to rise sharply with the fate of the rest of the passengers and crew remained unknown, officials and reports said.
There were unconfirmed reports that three survivors had been rescued.
One confirmed survivor, crew member Reynato Lanorio, said the ship listed and sank in just 15 minutes.
“It seemed like everything happened in 15 minutes. Next thing we knew, the ship had gone under,” he said, adding the captain of the 23,824 tonne vessel gave orders to abandon ship shortly after it listed, sending passengers and crew scrambling for life rafts.
“Many of us managed to get on the lifeboats, but I don’t know if they survived,” the crew member told DZBB radio from his hospital bed where he was being treated for cuts to his face.
He said that four other people on his raft were wrenched away by the big waves while he clung on for dear life.
Some reports said the vessel began taking water after the hull of the ferry developed a hole. Witnesses reported lifejackets from the doomed vessel washing ashore along with the shoes of children and other debris.
“There were many plastic slippers of children also found floating on the shore, but no survivors,” said Nanette Tansingco, mayor of San Fernando, a coastal town on Sibuyan about 260km south of Manila.
The ship, en route from Manila to Cebu and 16 hours into its 22-hour voyage, issued a distress signal before going down.
A police boat reached the site early yesterday and officers found the ferry flipped over with only its bow visible above the water line, Tansingco told local radio.
“They reported to me that there was a big hole amidships,” the mayor said.
Philippine President Gloria Arroyo has demanded to know why the ferry was allowed to leave from Manila with the typhoon about to hit the country.
“I want answers,” she said from on board the presidential plane en route to the US.
Typhoon Fengshen swept through the central Philippines on Saturday, leaving hundreds dead or missing as heavy rains and strong winds triggered floods and landslides that destroyed buildings.
At press time, at least 229 people were confirmed dead and at least six were missing after Fengshen ravaged the central and southern parts of the country, Red Cross and civil defense officials said.
The toll did not include those dead or missing from the sunk ferry.
The central province of Iloilo has suffered the heaviest losses, with 101 dead, Philippine Red Cross chairman Richard Gordon said.
Other fatalities were reported in the provinces of Romblon, Cotabato, Antique and Capiz, Gordon said.
The civil defense office recorded 26 fatalities in the southern island of Mindanao.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very