President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has canceled plans to take part in the 2008 Taipei International Dragon Boat Championships today after coming under fire for failing to visit the flood-hit southern areas and being accused of wasting taxpayers’ money because of the large number of agents needed to protect him at the event.
Ma changed his mind “because he sympathized with the flood victims,” Presidential Office spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said at a press conference yesterday.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers had accused the president of overlooking the damage to crops and farmland caused by the floods since Wednesday and the suffering that followed.
Lawmakers from Ma’s Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) joined the chorus of criticism yesterday, urging Ma to drop his plan to participate in the dragon boat race.
“President Ma Ying-jeou will be having fun in Taipei while flood victims suffer in the central and southern parts of the country. That won’t be a good image,” KMT Legislator Lee Chia-chin (李嘉進) said.
Lee suggested that Ma should lead Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) and the Cabinet on a journey to the south to help victims find a solution to long-standing flood-related problems, which he said the Council of Agriculture could not solve alone.
KMT Legislator Chang Sho-wen (張碩文) said Ma should have planned his schedule better.
“He should have been able to visit flood victims before participating in the dragon boat competition,” Chang said.
The National Security Bureau’s plan to deploy 200 agents at the scene of the race to provide security for Ma also drew criticism as a waste of public resources.
Wang tried to defend Ma’s earlier decision.
“The president is very much concerned about the disaster and has kept in close communication with Premier Liu and officials about the relief work since June 4. He decided not to participate in the dragon boat race as a gesture of sympathy for victims of the flood,” Wang said.
He said Ma had not visited the disaster areas out of “respect for the Constitution.”
“According to the Constitution, the premier is the highest administrative chief; disaster relief and visits fall under the Executive Yuan’s authority,” Wang said.
But he added that Ma wouldn’t rule out visiting disaster areas if there were any serious disasters.
Ma initially planned to organize a team of officials from the Presidential Office to participate in the annual race. He previously led a team of officials from the Taipei City Government to take part in the race during his eight-year tenure as Taipei mayor.
“It is way too late for President Ma to decide to withdraw from the dragon boat race. He should have known that a president should be where the suffering public is,” DPP Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) said.
Chang, however, praised Ma’s last-minute decision not to join the race, saying he should be commended for taking public concerns into account.
Also see: 標題
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very