The Cabinet yesterday issued an ultimatum to local election commission heads, stressing that those who failed to implement the one-step voting format during the Jan. 12 legislative election would be dismissed, replaced, brought to justice and disciplined.
The Central Election Commission (CEC), the nation's highest electoral rulemaking body, was instructed to issue orders to local election commissions yesterday and today "reiterating that the one-step voting format is the sole format to be used," Cabinet Secretary-General Chen Chin-jun (陳景峻) said at a press conference following a meeting convened by Vice Premier Chiou I-jen (邱義仁).
The move was intended to be seen as an ultimatum after the CEC failed to resolve the long-standing dispute.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) have locked horns over the voting system for more than a month.
The DPP favors the CEC's decision, made on Nov. 16, to adopt a one-step voting system, in which voters receive the ballots for the legislative elections and the two referendums at two separate desks before casting them into four separate boxes.
The KMT prefers a two-step voting format in which voters would receive the legislative ballots and cast them first, before receiving the ballots for the two referendums.
Eighteen local authorities governed by KMT have said they would implement a two-step voting system.
"No matter what [heads of local election commissions] have said previously regarding favoring a two-step voting format, they won't be punished for that, so long as from now on they prepare for the election in compliance with the one-step voting format," Chen said.
Preparations for the election include the publications of bulletins and brochures, as well as finalizing the desk arrangement for distributing ballots and the voting boxes in polling stations.
Heads of local election commissions that employ a two-step voting procedure would be punished in accordance with the Criminal Act (刑法), the Referendum Law (公民投票法), the Civil Servant Services Act (公務員服務法), the Civil Service Performance Evaluation Act (公務人員考績法) and the Law on Discipline of Public Functionaries (公務員懲戒法), Chen said.
Upon learning of the possibility that the CEC could replace the heads of the local election commissions in pan-blue-governed cities and counties, KMT caucus whip Tseng Yung-chuan (曾永權) yesterday threatened to sue the CEC for malfeasance.
Tseng questioned the CEC's authority to replace the directors of local election commissions.
Tseng said that it was the CEC that had violated the law as it did not want to obey a binding resolution reached by the legislature last week to adopt a two-step voting system and issue legislative and referendum ballots separately in the elections next month.
"The caucus fully supports and insists on adopting the two-step voting procedure," Tseng told a press conference.
"Once again, we would like to remind the CEC that the caucus will file a malfeasance lawsuit against it should it abuse its authority by recalling [directors] of local election commissions," he said.
Meanwhile, at a separate setting, the KMT's presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (
"All government policies should follow the law. If not, the policies do not carry any legal weight and the people concerned in the controversy can choose not to comply with the policies," he said when approached for comment yesterday.
"[The Cabinet's] order or measure [to deal with the controversy] contradicts the Constitution and law. Under this circumstance, it is very difficult for people to obey the order," he said.
He said that public officials in the 18 cities and counties cannot be charged by the Cabinet with violation of the Civil Code (民法) or Criminal Code for adopting a two-step system because "they are complying with the law."
Ma said the Cabinet should resolve the voting procedure controversy through the legislature as the Constitution and the Local Government Act (
"This is the solution, but the government doesn't want to adopt it," he said.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (
City government spokesman Yang Hsiao-tung (
The CEC is scheduled to hold a meeting tomorrow to discuss possible amendments to the regulations governing local commissions and to authorize the Premier to discharge local officials who violate the commission's decisions or behave in such way as to compromise the commission's reputation, CEC Chairman Chang Cheng-hsiung ( 張政雄) said yesterday.
The CEC would also hold a meeting to decide clear parameters for when it would be appropriate for the government to declare "force majeure" and halt the upcoming election, he said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JENNY W. HSU
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers have declared they survived recall votes to remove them from office today, although official results are still pending as the vote counting continues. Although final tallies from the Central Election Commission (CEC) are still pending, preliminary results indicate that the recall campaigns against all seven KMT lawmakers have fallen short. As of 6:10 pm, Taichung Legislators Yen Kuan-heng (顏寬恒) and Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔), Hsinchu County Legislator Lin Szu-ming (林思銘), Nantou County Legislator Ma Wen-chun (馬文君) and New Taipei City Legislator Lo Ming-tsai (羅明才) had all announced they
Nvidia Corp CEO Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) yesterday visited Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), as the chipmaker prepares for volume production of Nvidia’s next-generation artificial intelligence (AI) chips. It was Huang’s third trip to Taiwan this year, indicating that Nvidia’s supply chain is deeply connected to Taiwan. Its partners also include packager Siliconware Precision Industries Co (矽品精密) and server makers Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) and Quanta Computer Inc (廣達). “My main purpose is to visit TSMC,” Huang said yesterday. “As you know, we have next-generation architecture called Rubin. Rubin is very advanced. We have now taped out six brand new
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant