The status of Rebar Asia Pacific Group (
"US Immigration and Customs Enforcement is now determining the next appropriate steps in the case of Wang You-theng. His status in the United States has yet to be finally resolved," AIT spokeman Thomas Hodges said.
"Further questions about Mr Wang's case should be directed to the US Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement," he said.
Wang is suspected of having embezzled approximately NT$60 billion (US$1.8 billion) in corporate funds from the group before fleeing with his wife, Wang Chin She-ying (
Wang had been detained by US immigration authorities since Feb. 2, when he tried to return to Los Angeles despite both his Taiwanese and Dominican Republic passports having been canceled, following a failed attempt to go to Myanmar.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed in a press conference yesterday morning that Wang had been released from the immigration detention center in San Pedro, California.
Minister of Foreign Affairs James Huang (黃志芳) said the ministry had obtained information about the case and he was not surprised at Wang You-theng's release.
Huang stressed that Wang had merely been released on bail and that the legal process had not yet been concluded.
He said the ministry would continue to communicate through "appropriate channels" to follow the case's development.
When asked whether he was worried that Wang You-theng might flee to another country, Huang said that his ministry had faith in the US justice system.
Deputy Minister of Justice Lee Chin-yung (李進勇) told a separate press conference yesterday that the Ministry of Justice would not abandon its efforts to have Wang You-theng repatriated from the US to face criminal charges.
The Ministry of Justice has since January been supplying US authorities with comprehensive information on the Wangs' alleged criminal activities in Taiwan, Lee said.
The ministry sent a copy of Wang You-theng's indictment to US authorities in March in hopes that the couple would be repatriated to Taiwan.
On March 8, Taipei prosecutors asked for a prison sentence of 30 years and an unprecedented fine of NT$1.71 billion for Wang You-theng as they indicted him on several charges, including embezzlement.
Eight members of his family were also indicted on six different charges, in addition to 98 employees of the Rebar Group.
Wang Chin She-ying was indicted with her husband. She faces a NT$710 million fine and 28 years in prison if convicted.
Wang You-theng and his wife were declared wanted fugitives by Taipei prosecutors on Jan. 25.
The arrest warrant for Wang Chin She-ying is valid for 25 years.
Four of Wang You-theng's six sons -- Wang Lin-i (
Meanwhile, Wang You-theng's son Gary Wang (王令麟), chairman of Eastern Multimedia Group, was detained on July 17 on suspicion of illegal activities including embezzlement and bid rigging. His case is still under investigation.
Additional reporting by Jewel Huang
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters