This weekend offers a plethora of activities for children with the commencement of the Taipei Children's Festival (台北2007兒童藝術節) and the 2007 International Children's Folklore and Folkgame Festival (2007宜蘭國際童玩藝術節) in Ilan County. Both events start tomorrow, the former focusing on Da-an Park (大安森林公園) and Tianmu Sports Park (天母運動公園) in Taipei, and the latter at its home of many years, the Tungshan River Park (冬山河園區) in Ilan County. The Taipei event will offer over two weeks of dance and music, with detailed English information available at kids.culture.gov.tw/children_eng.tw. The Folklore and Folkgame Festival will run through until Aug. 26 with performances, exhibitions and activities by groups from around the world. Information in Chinese is available at www.folkgame.org.tw. The English site had not yet been enabled as of press time. Ticketing information for both events can be obtained from www.artsticket.com.tw.
At Daxi elementary school, Ilan Country, stages have replaced classrooms, musicians are substitutes for teachers and guitars are the instruments of intellectual edification. With a total of 50 bands spread over five stages encompassing every imaginable style of music, Grassfest is looking to tap into the popularity of music festivals. And it seems to have worked. Although only in its second year, the 2,500 tickets printed for the festival have been sold out - much to the surprise of the organizers. "The tickets sold out over a week and a half ago," said Kat Chang (張紋), one of the festival organizers, She added, "we are totally blown away by the positive response."
- Daxi Elementary School, Ilan County (宜蘭縣大溪國小), across the street from the Daxi train station, Ilan County (宜蘭大溪火車站)
- Tomorrow beginning at 1pm
- Tickets are NT$300. For more information go to www.grassfest.net or call (02) 2933-3431
Irma la Douce (巴黎花街) by Godot Theater (果陀劇場) tells the story of a fired cop on the steamy streets of 1960s Paris, who falls in love with a prostitute named Irma la Douce, who he meets at a seedy bar called the Cafe Moustache. After killing off la Douce's pimp, the ex-cop takes his place and gradually loses all sense of reality as he becomes increasingly jealous of the hooker's Johns. A highlight of the performance is the comedic acting talents of Chin Shih-jie (金士傑), who plays the role of the cafe owner.
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (國父紀念館), 505 Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段號505)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$400 to NT$2,000 and are available through NTCH ticketing or online at www.artstickets.com.tw
Elevator Kids (電梯裡的小孩) by Taiyuan Puppet Theater Company (台原偶戲團) is a fantasy glove puppet theater performance that tells the story of two trendy kids who go through a series of adventures.
- Nadou Theater (納豆劇場), 79 Xining N Rd, Taipei (台北市西寧北路79號)
- Tomorrow at 3pm
- Tickets are NT$200 and are available through NTCH ticketing or online at www.artstickets.com.tw
Closer Taipei by Lowkey Theater Troupe (低調劇團) is a performance piece about men and women living a lonely life in the big city and its influence on relationships and love.
- Guling St Theater (牯嶺街小劇場), 2, Ln 5, Guling St, Taipei (台北市牯嶺街5巷2號)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and tomorrow and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$250 and are available through NTCH ticketing or online at www.artstickets.com.tw