The number of babies and infants reported sick after being fed contaminated milk powder in China jumped to 432 yesterday and reports said 19 people had been arrested in the ongoing investigation.
After health departments were ordered on Friday to report all cases of babies suffering kidney stones from drinking Sanlu brand milk powder, 25 were reported in Beijing and another 22 in Shanghai.
Another 35 were cited in central Hunan Province, while 13 came to light in neighboring Hubei, provincial health bureaus and state media reports said, as the latest scandal to rock China’s food industry deepened.
The health ministry late on Friday said an initial investigation confirmed the milk powder tainted with the industrial chemical melamine was responsible for the spate of kidney problems in babies nationwide.
Investigators also found that the producer of the formula, the Sanlu Group, knew the milk was contaminated last month, but did not release the information until after reports of sick babies emerged this week, the ministry said.
“Those responsible for the contaminated milk will face severe punishment,” the ministry said.
Chinese state media condemned Sanlu, with the China Daily in an editorial yesterday calling the behavior of the company “appalling.”
The newspaper also sharply criticized government inspectors who it said had become aware of a possible problem as early as June.
The spike in the number of reported sick children comes two days after 59 babies in Gansu Province alone were reported suffering from kidney stones resulting in at least one death.
Xinhua news agency said a similar number of sick babies may still be reported in at least five other provinces and regions.
As of Wednesday, the company had recalled 8,210 tonnes of milk powder and by Friday still needed to recall 700 tonnes still on the market, the China Daily said, citing a company report.
Shops across China including global retailing giants Wal-Mart and Carrefour pulled the milk powder from shelves on Friday after the recall was issued.
The health ministry has also issued guidelines on how to treat infants suffering from kidney stones.
The affair has had repercussions overseas, with the US Food and Drug Administration reportedly alerting US markets to beware of Chinese-made baby formula.
The WHO said it was monitoring the situation and providing “technical assistance” to the Chinese authorities in their probe, although it was not clear if any of the suspect powder has been exported.
Media reports said dairy farmers were suspected of lacing milk used in the Sanlu brand formula with melamine to boost its protein content.
Melamine, used in making plastics, glues and other products, was at the center of a US recall of pet foods containing Chinese-made additives last year.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told