Apple Inc’s distribution practices for iPhones and iPad tablets are being examined by EU antitrust regulators, who said they will act if they see any behavior harmful to customers.
The European Commission is “currently looking at this situation and, more generally, is actively monitoring market developments,” Antoine Colombani, a spokesman for the Brussels-based authority, said in an e-mail.
While regulators were “made aware” of Apple’s distribution methods, they have not received any formal complaints, he said.
“We will intervene if there are indications of anti-competitive behavior to the detriment of consumers,” Colombani said.
Several phone carriers sent the EU information on their distribution contracts with Apple to check whether any terms restricted competition, the New York Times reported on Friday, citing a person briefed on the situation.
While the EU is focusing its inquiries on French phone operators, others elsewhere in Europe may also be involved, the newspaper said.
Apple, the world’s largest technology company, last year settled an EU antitrust probe into e-books pricing after it agreed to change agreements with four publishers.
It previously ended another antitrust case by pledging to reduce prices for UK iTunes music downloads. The EU closed a probe over restrictions on iPhone applications in 2010.
Cupertino, California-based Apple’s contracts “fully comply with local laws wherever we do business, including in the EU,” said Alan Hely, a spokesman for the company in London.
Samsung Electronics Co’s growing market position and the success of Google Inc’s Android mobile-phone operating system “are good reasons to believe that competition is strong in the markets for smartphones and tablets,” Colombani said.
France Telecom SA, whose Orange brand is the country’s biggest mobile operator, and Bouygues Telecom SA, the third largest, declined to comment on the report.
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) investment project in Arizona has progressed better than expected, but it still faces challenges such as water and labor shortages, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) said yesterday. Speaking with reporters after visiting TSMC’s Arizona hub and attending the SelectUSA Investment Summit in Maryland last week, Yeh said TSMC’s Arizona site turned a profit of NT$16.14 billion (US$514 million) last year in its first full year of mass production. “TSMC told me it was surprised by the smooth trial run of the first fab, which has left the company optimistic about the project’s outlook,”