Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Friday that his country is not losing the war against Russia, has taken hundreds of square kilometers in a new counteroffensive, and that European troops should deploy right on the front line after any ceasefire.
The Ukrainian leader spoke in an exclusive interview ahead of the four-year anniversary of the Russian invasion, with the outcome of the war — or the shape of any deal to end the fighting — still hanging in the balance.
His assessment of the grinding conflict comes as US President Donald Trump is pushing Kyiv to agree a deal with Moscow, and during one of the most difficult winters for Ukraine’s exhausted population and stretched military.
“You can’t say that we’re losing the war. Honestly, we’re definitely not losing it, definitely. The question is whether we will win,” Zelenskiy said at the presidential palace in the Ukrainian capital. “That is the question — but it’s a very costly question,” Zelenskiy added.
Europe’s deadliest war since World War II — unleashed when Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian troops to invade the Ukrainian border on Feb. 24, 2022 — has seen tens of thousands of civilians and hundreds of thousands of military personnel killed on each side.
Russian forces this winter have dramatically escalated a campaign of systematic strikes on Ukrainian energy sites, attacks that have left millions in the cold and dark for weeks in freezing temperatures.
And now Washington and Moscow are both exerting pressure on Kyiv to give up the embattled Donbas region to the Kremlin in any deal to end the four-year war.
“Both the Americans and the Russians say that if you want the war to end tomorrow, get out of Donbas,” Zelenskiy said about the eastern region that Russia has claimed as its own.
US-mediated talks in Geneva earlier this week failed to make progress on the key issue of territory in any deal to end the conflict.
Moscow has vowed it would capture the entire Donbas by force if Kyiv does not withdraw, with Putin showing no signs of compromise on his hardline demands to end his four-year invasion.
Ukraine still controls around one-fifth of the heavily industrialized and fortified Donetsk region, while Russia has seized roughly the entire Lugansk region. The two are together referred to as the Donbas.
Ukraine has repeatedly ruled out pulling its troops out of the region, saying such a move would only embolden Russia.
The demand to cede territory to Russia comes as Kyiv’s forces are gaining ground in
counterattacks along the southern front line.
“I won’t go into too many details,” Zelenskiy said of the advances, “but today I can congratulate our army first and foremost — all the defense forces — because as of today, 300 [square] kilometres have been liberated.”
He did not say over what timeframe and the claim was not independently verified. Military bloggers have suggested some of those gains could have been aided by sweeping outages of Starlink internet terminals across the Ukraine front, after network owner Elon Musk shut them down following a request from Kyiv.
Zelenskiy said Kyiv was taking advantage of the situation, but conceded that Ukrainian forces had also experienced interruptions due to the outages.
“There are problems, there are challenges,” Zelenskiy said, but the setbacks faced by the Russian side are “much more serious.”
As well as demanding territorial concessions, the US and Russia are pressuring Ukraine to hold presidential elections as part of its sweeping plan for a peace deal.
Zelenskiy, who has said Ukraine could only hold a vote when the war is over, said Russia was only pushing for a quick vote because the Kremlin wants to remove him from power.
“Let’s be honest — the Russians just want to replace me,” Zelenskiy said. “No one wants elections during a war. Everyone is afraid of its destructive effect,” he added.
The Ukrainian leader throughout the invasion has dismissed the possibility of holding elections, given that millions of Ukrainians have been forced abroad by the fighting, or are living in occupied territory.
He has cited the obstacles to holding any vote with fighting ongoing, in particular in towns and cities that are being bombarded by Russia.
Zelenskiy also said he had not decided if he would stand in a future vote.
The 48-year-old former comedian, who swept to a landslide victory in elections in 2019, has said that a ballot can only be held in Ukraine if its allies offer robust security guarantees to dissuade Russian attacks.
He said on Friday that Kyiv wants European troops — earmarked to be deployed in Ukraine in case of a halt in fighting — to be positioned close to the front.
“We would like to see the contingent closer to the front line. Of course, no one wants to stand on the first line, and of course, Ukrainians would like our partners to stand with us on the front line,” Zelenskiy said.
Heavy rain and strong winds yesterday disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand’s North Island, while snapping power links to tens of thousands. Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancelations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted. Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later yesterday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports. Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed
‘COST OF DEFECTION’: Duterte’s announcement could be an effort to keep allies in line with the promise of a return to power amid political uncertainty, an analyst said Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte yesterday announced she would run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028. Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues. Her announcement comes just days before her father, former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pretrial hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs. “I offer my life, my strength and my future
FEROCIOUS FISH-EATER Scientists have found a new species of dinosaur from the Cretaceous Period, a ‘hell heron’ that stalked the rivers, deep in the Saharan desert At a remote Sahara desert site in Niger, scientists have unearthed fossils of a new species of Spinosaurus, among the biggest of the meat-eating dinosaurs, notable for its large blade-shaped head crest and jaws bearing interlocking teeth for snaring fish. It prowled a forested inland environment and strode into rivers to catch sizable fish like a modern-day wading bird — a “hell heron,” as one of the researchers put it, considering it was about 12 meters long and weighed 5-7 tons. The dinosaur presented a striking profile on the Cretaceous Period landscape of Africa some 95 million years ago as it hunted
NOT YET THERE: While the show was impressive, it failed to demonstrate their ability to move in unstructured environments, such as a factory floor, an expert said Dancing humanoid robots on Monday took center stage during the annual China Media Group’s Spring Festival Gala, China’s most-watched official television broadcast. They lunged and backflipped (landing on their knees), they spun around and jumped. Not one fell over. The display was impressive, but if robots can now dance and perform martial arts, what else can they do? Experts have mixed opinions, with some saying the robots had limitations and that the display should be viewed through a lens of state propaganda. Developed by several Chinese robotics firms, the robots performed a range of intricate stunts, including martial arts, comedy sketches and choreographed