Japan began releasing the second batch of treated wastewater from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant yesterday, an incremental step in a decades-long process that has drawn strong condemnation from China.
The discharge, a small portion of the 1.34 million tonnes of wastewater built up since a tsunami struck the facility in 2011, began at 10:18am, a spokesman for operator Tokyo Electric Power Co Holdings (TEPCO) told AFP.
While Japan has insisted the treated water poses no health risks — a view backed by the UN’s nuclear watchdog — Beijing has repeatedly criticized the release and banned all Japanese seafood imports in response.
Photo: AP
TEPCO has said the wastewater has been filtered of all radioactive elements except tritium, which is within internationally recognized safe levels.
“It has been confirmed that the first release has been conducted as planned and in a safe manner,” Japanese government spokesman Hirokazu Matsuno told reporters yesterday, adding that no abnormalities had been detected.
The government would “continue to communicate, both domestically and internationally, results of monitoring data in a highly transparent manner,” Matsuno said.
Japan is also urging China to “immediately scrap import bans on Japanese food, and act based on scientific justifications,” he added.
Russia, which has frosty relations of its own with Japan, is reportedly considering following suit on the seafood ban.
Food exports from Japan to China plunged 41.2 percent in August to ¥14 billion (US$94 million), Japanese Ministry of Finance data showed.
China has accused Japan of using the ocean like a “sewer,” an assertion echoed at the UN last week by Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare, whose improving ties with Beijing have drawn alarm from traditional Western allies such as Australia.
Following August’s initial release, numerous Japanese businesses reported having trouble conducting daily operations after being flooded with angry calls from Chinese numbers.
Tokyo, meanwhile, demanded that China ensure the safety of Japanese citizens after a brick was thrown at its embassy in Beijing.
The release of wastewater is aimed at making space to eventually begin removing highly dangerous radioactive fuel and rubble from the plant’s wrecked reactors.
TEPCO would be rigorous in overseeing the second round, an official told reporters at a briefing on Wednesday, while exercising “the utmost vigilance to ensure that there is no unintentional discharge” of treated water into the sea.
FEROCIOUS FISH-EATER Scientists have found a new species of dinosaur from the Cretaceous Period, a ‘hell heron’ that stalked the rivers, deep in the Saharan desert At a remote Sahara desert site in Niger, scientists have unearthed fossils of a new species of Spinosaurus, among the biggest of the meat-eating dinosaurs, notable for its large blade-shaped head crest and jaws bearing interlocking teeth for snaring fish. It prowled a forested inland environment and strode into rivers to catch sizable fish like a modern-day wading bird — a “hell heron,” as one of the researchers put it, considering it was about 12 meters long and weighed 5-7 tons. The dinosaur presented a striking profile on the Cretaceous Period landscape of Africa some 95 million years ago as it hunted
Heavy rain and strong winds yesterday disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand’s North Island, while snapping power links to tens of thousands. Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancelations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted. Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later yesterday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports. Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed
‘COST OF DEFECTION’: Duterte’s announcement could be an effort to keep allies in line with the promise of a return to power amid political uncertainty, an analyst said Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte yesterday announced she would run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028. Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues. Her announcement comes just days before her father, former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pretrial hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs. “I offer my life, my strength and my future
NOT YET THERE: While the show was impressive, it failed to demonstrate their ability to move in unstructured environments, such as a factory floor, an expert said Dancing humanoid robots on Monday took center stage during the annual China Media Group’s Spring Festival Gala, China’s most-watched official television broadcast. They lunged and backflipped (landing on their knees), they spun around and jumped. Not one fell over. The display was impressive, but if robots can now dance and perform martial arts, what else can they do? Experts have mixed opinions, with some saying the robots had limitations and that the display should be viewed through a lens of state propaganda. Developed by several Chinese robotics firms, the robots performed a range of intricate stunts, including martial arts, comedy sketches and choreographed