Chinese authorities faced more public anger yesterday after a second child’s death was blamed on overzealous anti-virus enforcement, adding to frustration at controls that are confining millions of people to their homes and sparked fights with health workers.
The four-month-old girl died after experiencing vomiting and diarrhea while in quarantine at a hotel in the central city of Zhengzhou, according to news reports and social media posts.
They said it took her father 11 hours to get help after emergency services balked at dealing with them and she finally was sent to a hospital 100km away.
Photo: Reuters
The girl and her father were sent into quarantine on Saturday, according to news reports and social media.
An account on social media that said it was written by the father, identified as Li Baoliang, said he started calling the emergency hotline at noon on Monday after his daughter developed vomiting and diarrhea.
It said the hotline said the girl was not sick enough to need emergency care.
The account said health workers at the quarantine site called an ambulance, but the crew refused to deal with them because the father tested positive for COVID-19.
The girl finally arrived at a hospital at 11pm, but died despite efforts to revive her, the account said.
The account attributed to the father complained the emergency hotline acted improperly, nearby hospitals were not ready to help and the hospital where they ended up failed to provide “timely treatment” and gave him “seriously false” information.
The Zhengzhou city government said the incident was under investigation, according to news reports.
The death came after the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) this month promised that people in quarantine would not be blocked from getting emergency help following an outcry over a three-year-old boy’s death from carbon monoxide in the northwest.
His father blamed health workers in the city of Lanzhou, who he said tried to stop him from taking his son to a hospital.
Internet users expressed anger at the CCP’s “zero COVID-19” strategy and demanded that officials in Zhengzhou be punished for failing to help the public.
“Once again, someone died because of excessive epidemic prevention measures,” one user wrote on the Sina Weibo platform. “They put their official post above everything else.”
“Epidemic prevention and control people, do you not have a heart?” another post said.
The CCP promised last week to ease quarantine and other restrictions under its “zero COVID-19” strategy, which aims to isolate every infected person.
However, Chinese leaders are trying to dispel hopes the measures might end as other governments ease controls and try to live with the virus.
“Zero COVID-19” has kept China’s infection numbers lower than those of the US and other major countries, but shuts down neighborhoods, schools and businesses for weeks at a time. Residents of some areas complain they are left without food and medicine.
A spike in infections over the past two weeks has led officials in areas across China to confine families to their cramped apartments or order people into quarantine if a single case is found in their workplace or neighborhood.
Yesterday, the government reported 23,276 new cases in areas throughout the country; 20,888 of them with no symptoms.
That included a total of 9,680 in this week’s biggest hot spot, the southern business center of Guangzhou, near Hong Kong.
Videos on social media this week that said they were shot in Guangzhou showed angry residents knocking over barriers set up by white-garbed health workers. The 1.8 million residents of the city’s Haizhu District were confined to their homes last week, but some restrictions were lifted on Monday.
A total of 1,659 cases were reported in Henan Province, another hot spot where Zhengzhou is located.
Access to a Zhengzhou industrial zone that is home to the world’s biggest iPhone factory was suspended this month following outbreaks. Apple Inc said deliveries of its new iPhone 14 model would be delayed.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff