Britain offered a public apology on Wednesday over its the murky role of its security forces in the 1989 killing of a Belfast lawyer and pledged to publish a report into the extent of police and army involvement in the attack.
The government appointed a leading human rights lawyer to review a mountain of secret evidence into the slaying of Patrick Finucane. The investigator, Desmond da Silva, is supposed to publish his findings by December next year.
“The government is deeply sorry for what happened,” British Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Owen Paterson told lawmakers in London.
Finucane’s family expressed fury that Britain had dismissed their long-held demand for a public investigation into the killing. Two members of a Protestant paramilitary group, the Ulster Defense Association, shot Finucane 14 times as he was eating a meal with his wife and three children in their home.
Finucane’s widow, Geraldine, called the decision “nothing less than an insult.”
She said her family’s lawyers should be permitted to peruse confidential British documents and question witnesses from Northern Ireland’s police, British Army intelligence unit and Britain’s domestic spy agency MI5.
“We are being asked to accept the result of a process from which we are completely excluded ... a shoddy, half-hearted alternative to a proper public inquiry,” said Mrs Finucane, who was herself shot and wounded in the 1989 attack.
However, Paterson said a fact-finding inquiry would be financially wasteful, too slow and unnecessary. He said that senior English police officer, Sir John Stevens, spent more than a decade probing the case. In 2003, Stevens concluded that police and army intelligence agents encouraged the targeting of Finucane and supplied guns to his killers.
Paterson said the bulk of Stevens’ evidence — 9,256 written statements, 10,391 documents exceeding 1 million pages, and 16,194 exhibits of potential evidence — has remained secret, but de Silva would be free to read it all and report its contents.
“The public now need to know the extent and nature of that collusion,” he said.
Paterson made his announcement a day after the Finucanes held a closed-door meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron and Paterson in London.
De Silva, 71, did not comment. He is currently on a UN panel investigating Israel’s use of force against Gaza-bound ships last year. He has also overseen UN war crimes investigations in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Paterson said de Silva would re-interview senior former security officials, pore over the Stevens archive and “produce a full public account. Details in papers and statements that have been kept secret for decades will finally be exposed.”
At the time, the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) said it killed Finucane because of his high-profile defense of Irish Republican Army (IRA) clients and because the UDA believed he was an IRA member too. Three of Finuane’s brothers were IRA members, but Stevens said he found no evidence that Patrick Finucane was in the underground organization.
The IRA spent three decades shooting and bombing in the hope of forcing Northern Ireland out of the United Kingdom. Militants within Northern Ireland’s Protestant majority attacked Catholics in a bid to terrorize the Catholic community.
Both paramilitary camps announced ceasefires in the mid-1990s to permit peace talks that produced the Good Friday peace accord of 1998 and, ultimately, a stable Catholic-Protestant government for Northern Ireland. However, the question of British state involvement in the Protestant side’s bloodshed remains a point of bitter contention. Finucane’s case has the highest profile internationally because of his status as a lawyer.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The