Flash flooding carried away houses and ripped a child from his father’s grasp in Belize, while falling trees killed two people in Honduras on Tuesday, raising the death toll from Central America’s twin tropical storms to at least nine.
Belizean Prime Minister Dean Barrow declared a disaster area on Tuesday in southern Belize’s Stann Creek Valley and the government rushed food, water and clothing to more than 13,000 people affected by the floods.
Over the weekend, Pacific Tropical Storm Alma swept over Belize hours before Tropical Storm Arthur roared in from the Caribbean at the Mexico-Belize border.
PHOTO: EPA
Witnesses said a couple and their 14-year-old daughter died when a flash flood swept away a house in Stann Creek Valley early on Monday. The couple’s 12-year-old son is missing.
“The water just come right up and picked up their house and took it down there and mashed it up,” Bedford Ritchie told Channel 7.
Wellington McKenzie said a friend drowned trying to help him rescue people in their neighborhood.
Officials also were searching for a young boy who was pulled from his father’s arms by floodwaters as the two tried to reach the safety of a mango tree.
“I went underneath the water and I bit my little boy in his hand, just to hold him, and by the time I came up back, he was gone,” Philberto Roches, told Channel 7. “I turned around and tried to find him and never did.”
The government confirmed four people died and three were missing.
Nicaragua’s navy announced it found the storm-wrecked boat and body of one of three Costa Rican fishermen missing since last Thursday and it was still searching for the two other missing men. One man was electrocuted earlier by wind-whipped power lines in Nicaragua.
Winds knocked down trees in Honduras on Tuesday, killing a man and a woman, regional emergency chief Carlos Gonzalez said.
Honduran forecasters blamed the winds and rain on the remnants of Arthur. A seven-year-old girl drowned earlier in Honduras.
In Belize, high waters left dozens stranded on their roofs and damaged highways. Work to repair one important highway proved futile after waters rose overnight and washed away the repaired section.
The destruction of the bridge cut off access to the port at Big Creek, threatening oil and shrimp exports. The government said it would build a provisional single span bridge until it can construct a permanent replacement.
Officials in Mexico’s Gulf coast state of Tabasco reported that thousands of people were forced from their homes by flooding.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The