Veteran print and radio journalist Juan Balagtas does not leave his home in the southern city of Zamboanga without a loaded gun.
He drives around in a heavily tinted van with a bodyguard as he heads to the local radio station, where his popular program attacking corrupt politicians and Islamic militants airs daily.
"I carry a .45-caliber pistol if I go out. It's difficult to move around when you know you have enemies," said Balagtas, who also writes for a Manila broadsheet.
Balagtas is not his real name, because he feared if he was identified, "I may not live tomorrow."
Zamboanga is a hotbed of Al-Qaeda-linked militants as well as political warlords who have private armies that are often better armed than the police and military.
Forty-five broadcast journalists have been gunned down in the Philippines since democracy was restored after the peaceful "People Power" revolt that ousted dictator Ferdinand Marcos in 1986.
Six reporters have been killed so far this year. The latest was broadcaster Fernando Consignado, whose body was found Thursday with a bullet wound to the head in his home south of Manila.
Just days earlier, radio journalist Jonathan Abayon was shot in the head by a former soldier following a heated argument in the southern city of General Santos.
Reporter and radio correspondent Arnel Manalo was killed by gunmen riding a motorcycle earlier this month, as was crusading radio commentator Rogelio Mariano on July 31. Other journalists were killed in February and June.
Police are probing whether the killings were work-related, and said they would ease restrictions on gun permits for journalists.
The move has triggered a heated debate in a country where a proliferation of unlicensed firearms is blamed for rising crime.
Balagtas said only bona-fide members of the press whose lives were in danger should be allowed to arm themselves.
"You don't really have to own a firearm if you're not under threat and you know you didn't do anything wrong," he said.
Three years ago, one of his colleagues was gunned down outside his home after allegedly angering a politician.
Balagtas himself had to lie low for months after receiving threats and being followed by a man the police had identified as a suspect in his friend's murder.
"I grew a beard, changed my appearance. I knew they were after me," Balagtas said. "I carried my pistol around, because I was also receiving threats I would be killed."
The suspect in his friend's killing remains at large, with the family failing to pursue the case in court since a witness was killed.
Jaime Laude, a newspaper journalist covering the police and military beats in Manila, also owns a handgun and has undergone rigid training in handling firearms.
"In this trade, especially when you cover the police and political beats, you are exposed to threats to your life. You do your work, and sometimes people get hurt," he said.
However, he said the responsibility of maintaining peace and order lay with the police.
"If you arm all the journalists, you might as well arm all civilians and disband the police and the military," Laude said.
Guns will not ensure safety against a "determined killer" and corrupt police officers, Laude said.
"It is a sad reflection on law enforcement when the best defense journalists are offered is advice to carry a weapon," the Committee to Protect Journalists Asia coordinator Abi Wright said.
"The problem with impunity remains paramount in the Philippines... That is the best defense for freedom of the press," she said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told